jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Why do some people think they are entitled to things that others work hard for?

1. Silverspeeder profile image61
    Silverspeederposted 5 years ago

Why do some people think they are entitled to things that others work hard for?

Here in the UK there is a debate about those on welfare being better off than some people who work. Do you think those who receive welfare are entitled to the same living standards as those who work?

2. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

It depends on why the person is receiving welfare--are they old, crippled, raising children? I can't answer hypothetical questions about whether someone deserves what others worked hard for. The obvious answer to that is no. In the US, the majority of people are very hard workers, but there is a horrible streak of crookedness that runs through our collective consciousness. Ours is sort of a nation of hustlers and a good number of people will and do take advantage of welfare and social programs. The sad thing is, it spreads to others and ruins the honest people who may be using it. I think the system has to be more complicated and has to be highly-regulated to work effectively. We have a law enforcement arm for just about everything, but we don't have one that investigates and prosecutes against welfare fraud.

1. Silverspeeder profile image61
      Silverspeederposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your answer Old Empresario. It was aimed more at the UK welfare recipients who chose to live on benefits, in extreme cases having up to 11 children whilst never working or intending to do so.

2. pagesvoice profile image84
      pagesvoiceposted 5 years agoin reply to this

In my county we have an investigative task force that aggressively goes after those who are conning the system. Unfortunately, we have many relocate here from New York City to sell their drugs and then live off of our Welfare system.

3. Angela Kane profile image76
    Angela Kaneposted 5 years ago

I do not believe that people on assistance or welfare should be living better than those that are not unless they are disabled. I cannot stand that hard working people who have worked their butts off to have nice things and a nice home just to see someone move in beside them that hasn't worked nearly as hard. The last time I checked I made money for my personal benefit and family not for everyone else and people who do not want to work.

4. Conservative Lady profile image74
    Conservative Ladyposted 5 years ago

Those who choose to live off of welfare are not at all entitled to live better than those who work and pay taxes. Mind you I said CHOOSE - I am not at all upset about tax dollars going to the elderly who can no longer work or the truly disabled, or those disabled during military service. But the lazy unmotivated who refuse to get off their backside and get a job - I resent them taking my hard earned tax dollars. They should get the bare essentials and nothing more - they can get a job if they want more than that. Just my humble opinion.

5. adorablebaby profile image59
    adorablebabyposted 5 years ago

work physically hard for it
    or
    study real hard for it

brains vs bronze at this moment

there is experience +  hard working labor
    or
    Skill & knowledge tough position to be in but i was told the skill and knowledge would be more and better benefits vs the physical because
    physical labor can only get you so far vs
    skill to control and command people and understand things

working