jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

What's the purpose of a gun?

1. thegecko profile image79
    thegeckoposted 4 years ago

What's the purpose of a gun?

What are guns designed to do? What do people intend to do with guns?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7912429_f260.jpg

2. Attikos profile image79
    Attikosposted 4 years ago

The purpose of a saw is to cut something. The purpose of a stove is to cook something. The purpose of a gun is to shoot something. As every sane mind will acknowledge, there are things people need to cut, cook or shoot.

1. Jack Burton profile image82
      Jack Burtonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Big jump, there, attikow, assuming that the anti-gunners are working from a position of "sanity." The vast majority of them are living in fantasy land, not knowing the a thing about guns but only interested in what makes them ffffeeeelll gggoooddddd.

2. Attikos profile image79
      Attikosposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I stand corrected.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

For me it is to protect my family from the lunatics out there that may come visiting. No, not for a social call, to "steal" from me or harm one of my loved ones. Home protection is very important in this cruel world we live in.

4. duffsmom profile image58
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

For me, protection. We live in a rural area with black bears, grizzly bears, mountain lions and a ton of wolves. It would be suicide to go into the woods unarmed. 

If I lived in the city, I would definitely have a gun in my home in case of a break-in or home invasion.

A lot of people enjoy target practice as well.  Skeet shooting is a lot of fun (shotgun) so there are reasons outside of people killing for people to own guns.

5. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 4 years ago

I intend to protect my children from whatever or whoever I feel needed. Like duffsmom I live in a very rural area. We have wild animals come up on our land quite often. We've had our animals attacked. I have 3 children, one of which is smaller than 2 of my dogs. I have no intention of standing by and hoping my bat will do the trick if one of those animals attacked my child.
    I also intend on protecting myself when I am working. I go into abandoned homes all the time. There have been times when drug addicts have been in these vacant homes. I want to know if one of them decides to do something stupid, I won't end up dead.

6. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

Protection and entertainment. It was designed as a more accurate weapon against animals to protect humans. But they are now purchased for protection against animals and humans as well as entertainment which is more often called practice. Going to the shooting range with a family member or special other is a wonderful time that I hope everyone enjoys.

working