jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Would you allow a stranger to walk to the cash point with you to draw out money

1. Grace-Wolf-30 profile image60
    Grace-Wolf-30posted 4 years ago

Would you allow a stranger to walk to the cash point with you to draw out money to give them?

Someone (man or woman) walks up to you and tells you that they've had their car stolen. They have no money and need the bus fare home. When you say you don't carry cash they offer to walk to the cash point with you, to draw out money for them. The issues I identify here are 'compassion' and 'trust'. What would you do? Please share your thoughts.

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

Unfortunately, in the world today it is very hard to trust. I would say "Wait here , I'll be right back." I would not allow them to walk with me to my bank. There are too many variables that could happen. You could easily be robbed by putting yourself in such a vulnerable situation.

3. wilbury4 profile image71
    wilbury4posted 4 years ago

This person (man or woman) has had their car stolen!
    Was all this persons possessions inside the car?
    Did they leave their wallet/purse inside the car?
    Do they not have a mobile phone, or was that also inside the car?

Sorry but I would not show any trust towards this person!

4. Enigmatic Me profile image74
    Enigmatic Meposted 4 years ago

So many variables to consider for an honest answer. Growing up in a small town I'd be less concerned... if it was the small town I am in at the time. In a city and this scenario plays out... I think I'd either pass on the idea altogether, or as someone else mentioned, ask them to stay there while I get it for them. Personal space, age, sex, race, clothing, honest looking/or not.... all play in our minds as we interact with people...in any situation. So, I think this will be a hard one to get a consensus on. Consider your own reality, who your friends are, how they look, what you like and dislike in them, build a character around those things and see if that person is a person you'd be willing to help.

5. livinggood profile image62
    livinggoodposted 4 years ago

No way! That dose not mean I wouldn't help them. I just would make them wait. Anyone that would allow someone to follow them to a cash point is asking for trouble. Unless that cash point is inside a business that's not going to put you in jeopardy. It's allot harder to answer this question if your actually in this situation. We have the luxury to think about it for a while.

6. taburkett profile image61
    taburkettposted 4 years ago

I continuously "pay-it-forward".  For a person in this position, I would purchase a bus ticket for them and wave good-bye to them and wish them a safe journey as they get on the bus.  If they are unwilling to meet me at the bus station for their ticket, then I know I cannot trust them.  By the way, as they get on the bus, I would then give them food money and a prepaid cell phone with 100 minutes on it for the trip.

7. ketage profile image81
    ketageposted 4 years ago

I would ask him/her to wait, then I would walk them to the bus depot and buy them a ticket.
    The reasons for why I wouldn't just pass them the cash, would take a long time in the telling.