jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (11 posts)

What should be the strongest influence on your Congressman?

1. FitnezzJim profile image81
    FitnezzJimposted 4 years ago

What should be the strongest influence on your Congressman?

Results will be added to an article to compare how we believe representatives should perform and how we believe they do perform.
    Please select from: “We the Pople”, “Money”, "Deals”,  “Political Party, or  “Religion”.

2. The Frog Prince profile image77
    The Frog Princeposted 4 years ago

Let me take a stab at this one.  What his/her constituents say in the majority.

The Frog

3. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 4 years ago

The biggest influence be "We the People." Unfortunately the biggest influence is probably "Political Party."

A lot of money is spent entertaining Congressmen to lunches, dinners, etc. There are limitations in the law. Companies have tightened up their giving. They still give a lot but the fact there are so may groups from oil and gas industry and pharmaceutical industry to the NRA and the AARP giving money, that is hot a real issue.

Party allegiance is the main factor because that determines committee assignment, chairmanships, office location and whether or not your bills will ever be heard in committee and may someday on the floor.

4. Angela Blair profile image80
    Angela Blairposted 4 years ago

I'll vote with Frog on this one -- they should be listening to "we the people" but my observations these days tell me this is doubtful at best - wish it was true!

5. Superkev profile image85
    Superkevposted 4 years ago

The will of their constituents and the Constitution of the United States.

6. profile image0
    Old Poolmanposted 4 years ago

It should be "We the people," but in reality it is a combination of all the above.  No living creature changes loyalties faster than a politician looking for votes.

7. stanwshura profile image74
    stanwshuraposted 4 years ago

The answer is "we the people", as is a given according to our Constitution.  Thus, the *should* question is moot.  The reality, however, is that, in the vast majority of instances, party loyalty (or obedience!) reigns supreme.

8. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 4 years ago

They should represent "We the people"... but the majority are seem to be representing their own party and what is worse to me their Religious Affiliation.

9. Credence2 profile image80
    Credence2posted 4 years ago

This seems pretty easy "We the people" of course, this seems to be a common answer regardless of political or ideological persuasion. Hope all finds you well, FJ!

10. LongTimeMother profile image94
    LongTimeMotherposted 4 years ago

I'd like to see the option 'Their conscience'. smile

It would be nice to think that a politician who had access to all the facts on an issue (particularly when they had more knowledge than the people) would make a decision based on what is 'right'.

1. FitnezzJim profile image81
      FitnezzJimposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Good suggestion.  This was also suggested in a recent conversation, and is an option I can recall discussed years ago..  Since I can't modify a question after the fact, I will add that as an option in a poll.