jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Are we doomed as a society for history to constantly repeat itself?

1. milleramanda53 profile image80
    milleramanda53posted 4 years ago

Are we doomed as a society for history to constantly repeat itself?

2. Shawn McIntyre profile image86
    Shawn McIntyreposted 4 years ago

I don't know that I would call it "doomed", but yes, history will always continue to repeat itself. Personally, I can't think of a better way to "get things right" than to know what's coming. Of course, this only works if we learn from the mistakes in the past.

3. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 4 years ago

History does not repeat itself precisely, but there is repetition. WW1 and WW2 prove that. Also, members of families will often for better or worse follow the path of other family members in many cases. If a child wants to be a doctor like parent or older sibling, then history is repeating itself. If another child wants to follow the path of an uncle or aunt who has made many personal mistakes, that that too is a repetition of history.
    Abraham Lincoln will never be assassinated again. However, other presidents have been assassinated. While we have unlimited choices to make throughout our lives, there will be times when we are caught in that historical web were we may be doing the right thing or the wrong thing.
    It is good to know general history and the personal history of your family, but it is most important to be your own person. If you are successful, you can take some credit and thank those that influenced you. If you make mistakes, you should take the blame and let someone else link your action to a prior action by another person.

4. conradofontanilla profile image82
    conradofontanillaposted 4 years ago

Doom has religious connotations as if a punishment for some misdeeds. History is not science that yields scientific laws. Psychology impinges on history but laws in psychology are not laws in history. read more

5. lone77star profile image84
    lone77starposted 4 years ago

Where there are consistent forces acting on a body (say, humanity, for instance), then there will be repetition of responses.

The key force acting upon humanity is ego -- selfishness and separateness.

So long as we ignore ego and let it run rampant, we will suffer repetition of the effects of ego.

The most insidious effect of ego is the power-hungry psychopath -- like the Rothschilds, Rockefellers, Bush's, Cheneys, Obamas and the like. They include many of the corporate leaders, especially the bankers in Wall Street and the very private Federal Reserve and other central banks, worldwide.

The only way to rise above this action-reaction-based mechanism is to turn to God and spirituality. We need to learn real forgiveness -- not the mammy-pamby fake forgiveness where people still can't "forget." Any attachment is not true forgiveness.

Dismissing ego is rising above the ties to physical existence. It's not as hard as it sounds, but it does require dedication and work.

6. Ericdierker profile image52
    Ericdierkerposted 4 years ago

Just this morning life repeated itself in my home. I hope I am "doomed" for it to repeat itself over and over again. We celebrated our nation's birthday. We won't have another birth, but the day is sure fun to lighten our hearts and give thanks.

Truly society repeats itself in the sense that it keeps doing the same thing over and over again. Here are some things that society just cannot quit doing: Having children. Planting trees. Traveling and experiencing new places. Responding in gifts to folks hurt by disaster. Falling in love. Resolving differences. Studying. Reading. Gardening. Volunteering. Fighting for Freedom. Donating.
    And near and dear to us here, writing and expressing our thoughts for a better world.
    Larry pointed out WWI and WWII and I take heart in that, because we will repeat our Victory over evil intentions, time and time again.
    Yea baby!! Let me be doomed. Life is so filled with beauty and our human condition so filled with a desire to make things better that we will keep being better and better and better.

7. Attikos profile image78
    Attikosposted 4 years ago

Western civilization has run in cycles as far back as history goes. A spin of its wheel begins Phoenix-like as liberty and individualism rise from the ashes of the previous age, turns through the prosperity and strength that produces, then falls into tyranny and ruin as politics and economics devolve into statism. No one can predict the timing of events to come, but it seems clear enough America is on the downside of the cycle now. We today certainly are witnesses to the authoritarianism and tyrannical conduct of the state that characterize the declining phase.

8. whonunuwho profile image78
    whonunuwhoposted 4 years ago

Because we are mankind, we will repeat ourselves in our societies time and again, just as history has proven to be so. Perhaps over time some day, we will learn from past mistakes and take the path less trodden...the one of righteous and just men, and not follow greed...our worst enemy of all time. whonu

working