Is it now valid to claim "women are the worse drivers on the road."

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (78 posts)
  1. RealityTalk profile image61
    RealityTalkposted 10 years ago

Is it now valid to claim "women are the worse drivers on the road."

Following drivers on the road today, I have seen a remarkable decline in drivers following the rules of the road.  Most of these bad drivers appear to be women.  Men still drive too fast, but now women have joined and overtaken men in that bad trait.  I see vehicles in front of me swerving left & right out of the lane. They don't use turn signals unless while turning. They run stop signs. They tailgate. They run lights. It has become scary to drive. This all seemed to worsen with texting. I would love to hear your opinions & experiences.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8310312_f260.jpg

2. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 10 years ago

I do believe that women are worse drivers. However, some could consider it rude as a statement.

RealityTalkposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That I understand & accept. lol. The frustration 4 me however is the fear I have 4 myself & my children watching drivers swerve into my lane while texting on the phone on their lap. Eyes down, not up. I am fearful 4 lives.

2. lburmaster profile image73
      lburmasterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Don't forget that most are mothers with vans. They might have the bigger car.

3. RealityTalk profile image61

I'm not sure what u mean by they have the bigger car? I work from home & the kids are mine, so I drive the van, but I never text while driving & my eyes r on the road even more w/kids in the van when not.

4. lburmaster profile image73
      lburmasterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Traditionally, women stay at home. Though that has been changing. Let's just hope they don't get trucks or SUV's.

5. RealityTalk profile image61

Love it!  LOL.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

No, I would consider the elderly the worst drivers. Not trying to sound rude, but they are actually some very dangerous, medicated older drivers out there.

1. peeples profile image92
      peeplesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree!

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you sweetie  smile

I agree there a lot of terrible elderly drivers.

4. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you sir

5. Laura Schneider profile image85
      Laura Schneiderposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree, JT, medicated or not! Families of the elderly should report bad drivers to the DMV (anonymously) so they can be retested and get their license taken away if they can't pass. See my article about voluntarily giving up your license, too.

6. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Completely agree! I live in an area with many seniors and the driving is scary.

4. Borsia profile image40
    Borsiaposted 10 years ago

My greatest fear, especially as a motorcyclist, would have to be an elderly Asian woman in a semi.
    But to be more serious I would have to say that when I see really bad driving I figure it is either an illegal, a woman or an Asian. I am seldom wrong.
    When I lived in Colombia the bad drivers were almost always women.
    Now that I live in Asia I have to start by saying that all the drivers are Asian, and it shows, but the women still take the lead in really bad driving.
    I know it is a cliché but it is true that women are worse drivers and women who drive as fast as men are far more dangerous.
    They just seem to be continually distracted by something, they are far more apt to be yammering on the phone or texting, that is when they aren't trying to put on makeup.

1. cat on a soapbox profile image95
      cat on a soapboxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

haha! You've nailed it. smile

2. Laura Schneider profile image85

Note that Borsia lives in Asia currently, according to his comment, so this does not necessarily pertain to US women drivers. I think all US drivers (except, generally, semi and other commercial truck drivers) are horrible, as a rule w/ exceptions.

Ah, but the question said women drivers, not merely U.S. drivers.  Laura me thinks you protest too much; very defensive. lol.

4. Laura Schneider profile image85

I admit to being defensive freely, without apology. But that doesn't change the fact that I think most drivers everywhere I've been are terrible these days. (In Cairo in 2008--as a passenger, I couldn't even look at the traffic it was so scary.)

Laura I agree with u that most drivers - of all ages, sex & whatnot r terrible drivers these days. Too many electronic distractions in vehicles. Cars have become a 2nd home & a home on wheels is dangerous if the driver's eyes r on toys &

5. Diana Lee profile image76
    Diana Leeposted 10 years ago

What you talk about does not have a gender.  Us old folks you seldom see texting, but our concentration could stand improvement and it doesn't matter if we are male or female. In general, fast and furious young people contribute to as many accidents as old people do. Again it's not a gender thing, but I will say this poor sense of directions do cause chaos with those taking wrong turns and entering places they are not familiar with. Most men have poor senses when it comes to directions, so unless they have a GPS system they are more prone to being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Over worked people who lack sleep and those on drugs and booze cause accidents. Now texting is another worry for us to watch out for. Both genders are the blame.

6. johnsonrallen profile image89
    johnsonrallenposted 10 years ago

One thing I've noticed is women rarely yield for me when I'm walking from my car into a store. They don't even look. I've nearly been hit too many times not to notice.

Crosswalks & stop signs. It seems drivers rush to be the 1st at a stop sign to be the 1st to go.  And, drivers roll through rather than courteously wait at crosswalks for pedestrians to pass. What's the hurry?

7. CraftytotheCore profile image75
    CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years ago

Except for last week when a crazed young male driver almost took out the side of my vehicle when he failed to yield on 78 (which is a fast road leading to Misquamicut Beach in Westerly, RI...I have to say I'm disappointed when women are behind the wheel of a carelessly driven automobile.

There are more incidents here at the elementary school concerning female drivers.  What boggles my mind is that they refuse to stop in crosswalks nearly running down innocent little children who have the right of way.  What if that were their child?  (And that's WITH the crossing guard.  I've actually been standing at the crosswalk and witnessed her struck by a car!)

The other day I was stopped at the red light.  A mother was in front of me who I see almost daily dropping her children off.  The light was red.  The crosswalk light came on and pedestrians started to cross.  They clearly had the right of way.  Yet this woman blew through the red light turning LEFT! 

I totally agree with you Reality Talk.  I have also noticed a huge decline in drivers following rules of the road. It's disappointing to say the least. 

I used to work on personal injury law cases and can honestly say, vehicle metal is best on car bodies, not flesh.

Well written!  And, your last sentence is sound advice.

Yikes! Scary to think about kids in crosswalks at school...I share your fears.

But seriously, c'mon, people, how hard is it to follow the rules (LAWS) of the road? In the US, they're very simple. Start with PAY ATTENTION and then DO IT RIGHT ALWAYS!

8. LandmarkWealth profile image66
    LandmarkWealthposted 10 years ago

Putting my mother aside, who has no business behind the wheel of a car...The stats actually suggest that women are safer drivers than men overall.   The studies seem to show this over and over again.  I used to believe the opposite.  But it's hard to find any data that says when it comes to safety that men are safer drivers.  If you want to compare who is better in competitions like NASCAR, you may have a different result.

1. profile image52
      Mikeomearapensacoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Good point.  It is usually unwise to make broad sweeping statements like the one that started this thread.  Granted, it makes for an entertaining debate, but painting any group of people with wide brush strokes usually accomplishes little....

2. BuffaloGal1960 profile image68
      BuffaloGal1960posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Don't women still get cheaper insurance rates?

Curious thing about ins. Ins cos. r about making money. Statistics r easily manipulated as any politician knows. More men drive than women. Do the math & the financial statement. LOL.

4. LandmarkWealth profile image66
      LandmarkWealthposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Insurance companies are about making money so their is no benefit to manipulating the stats that would work against the reality of their liabilities.  Men do drive more.  But women have less accident for the  proportionate time driving.

Mikeomearapensaco, I agree completely! (So completely that I am, for once in my life, speechless--you've said it all.)

LandmarkWealth, please anonymously report your mother to your DMV for retesting and possible removal of her license! Save lives!

6. RealityTalk profile image61

Ah, once again you quote Insurance statistics.  Any politician knows statistics are easily manipulated. And to be accurate, the statistics would have to be run daily as we live in an ever changing world. I don't buy it; money makes the world go.

7. LandmarkWealth profile image66

Why would insurance companies under-report the data of female accidents to lower their premium and cost themselves more money in claims ???  Please explain the economics behind that one.  In fact insurance actuaries are incredibly accurate.

8. RealityTalk profile image61

More money paid out in premiums with the odds paying off.  Statistics lie. From another angle: it is unfair to rate all young males in 1 pool. Statistically blacks commit more crimes than whites. Should we believe blacks r more prone to crime?

9. LandmarkWealth profile image66

It's not more money it's less, which is the point. The lower rates mean they pay less in premiums. You have it backwards. And yes, blacks are more statistically prone to commit crimes for a number of socioeconomic reasons.  Probability is not unfair.

10. RealityTalk profile image61

So you are saying that young women pay less than men for insurance?  And that African Americans are more likely to commit crimes? I think many would beg to differ with you. Maybe you should tell Jessie Jackson what u think?

11. LandmarkWealth profile image66

No, women is general pay less, but there are number of actuarial factors that additionally effect rates.  Zip Code, whether or not you are a student etc.

12. RealityTalk profile image61

But u believe ALL young men should pay more than anyone because they r born male & fall into someone's statistics? Isn't that guilt by birth? In same breath, if statistics say blacks r more prone to crime, ALL blacks should be suspect?

13. LandmarkWealth profile image66

There is no other way to provide insurance other than assess rates based on a large number of homogeneous units. Otherwise the laws of probability fail. I personally see nothing wrong with profiling in terms of police work, I think it's common sense.

14. RealityTalk profile image61

LW, I understand your pt & bow to your knowledgeable financial backgrnd.  But I stand firm on the uselessness of most statistical studies & greed. Also, my pt with black/white is 2 emphasis unfairness that penalizes ALL for the acts of others

15. LandmarkWealth profile image66

Unfortunately, insurance can only work off of the law of large numbers and probability.  There is no other way to assign risk in a practical way and run an insurance company and stay in business.

9. Laura Schneider profile image85
    Laura Schneiderposted 10 years ago

Facetious answer: You can't make that broad generalization because it's not a "broad generalization" day (those are Tuesdays and Thursdays, whereas this is a Monday in my time zone).

Serious answer: Statistics still show women are far safer drivers than men, which is especially scary given everything you've described above. But, I, too, see these things happening with all vehicles on the road, driven by men as well as women, teens as well as elderly. Very disturbing trend! Worse: I see cops doing stuff like this, too, if not worse!

My guess: When the woman parked in the parking lot it was totally empty and she had intended to re-park the car before the workday (or whatever) began and either forgot or was too busy or both.

I did something like that once--parked totally rudely by accident that is: We were unloading something huge and very heavy from my little car and I parked across two parking places near the entrance to my building to allow room to get the thing out in case someone decided to park next to me, thereby preventing the doors from opening fully, and close to the building to reduce the chance of dropping whatever-it-was. The transfer was a success, but I forgot to go re-park the car. Next morning I got a really nasty nastygram on my windshield about women not bleeping knowing how to park--with a few extra bleeps in case I didn't feel badly enough about it already. (I had backed-in perfectly in the middle of the two straight-in parking spots, however, so concluding that I was simply a bad driver was silly anyway--rude to take up two prime parking spots, yes I agree to that, but incompetence was not in evidence.)

I love your answer! lol.  I agree with the serious parts & I laughed at the funny parts.

:-) Glad I could make you laugh! Cheers!

(Fridays are "Protocol Violation" days, just in case you were wondering. Not sure about the others; Mondays used to be meaningful, but not any more.)

Funny story. Driving w/my 10 yr old daughter. 2 cars near us failed 2 use turn signals,  both stopped over the stop line on road & weaved out of lanes. No prompting from me, my daughter says "of course their both women." LOL. No lie! I luv her.

10. profile image52
    Mikeomearapensacoposted 10 years ago

This is not relevant, IMHO.  I think the most dangerous drivers on the road are the ones who drive so slow that they cause others to drive otherwise erratically.

1. Laura Schneider profile image85

Oh, good point, I HATE slow drivers! They're a menace! Especially those that can't merge at the speed of traffic--topping the list are the ones that stop at the end of the merge lane!!

11. profile image0
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 10 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8311805_f260.jpg

Reality Talk,
    What's wrong with you? What makes you think women are bad drivers in general? You can't really believe that sex has anything to do with a driving record?
    Get a grip,
    Women Drivers Inc.

The blind cannot see.   I suggest you lighten up.  Unless, your defensive posture reveals your guilty feelings about the truth you choose not to admit?

Chill, you guys. No angst was intended by this discussion, quite the opposite. We are all expressing concerns about bad driving we have seen around the world from both genders and are (ah-hem) likely to re-examine our own driving skills accordingly.

I'm neither mad nor defensive, merely objective. Laura however, you do seem to be all other comments on this Question. Seems to suggest a little defensiveness pertaining to gender. The question is lite humor, hoping 4 self-awareness as u did grasp.

4. Laura Schneider profile image85

RealityTalk, you are absolutely correct: I am defensive about objective rather than subjective talk about women. (I grew up a "Tom-boy" and got a degree in Physics/engineering and am a tech writer. So, typically an extreme minority in my daily life.)

Laura, I can relate to the "minority." I have a law degree; practiced 23+ yrs. Self-taught 20 computer languages; work that part time. I worked from home, raising 3 children from birth to 17, 14 & 10. I read physics 4 fun (100+ books).

12. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 10 years ago

I have know women who can change clothes including pantyhose and do a full make up job while driving. you would have to admit that takes skill. I am not sure if women or men are the worst but I had my son tell me the speed limit meant you had to drive at least at that speed or you get a ticket... I think he actually belives that.

In all honesty I think driving is just another one of those things among many these days were manners, safety and kindness seem to be lacking by many, not sure which sex is more guilty... looks pretty even from my seat.

Fair enough statement.  I believe texting is the number one cause for the crazy increase in road weaving & non-attention. Teens & women (women r teens too) tend to need to be constantly chatting. 4 men/boys its more speed & power.

"driving is just another one of those things among many these days were manners, safety and kindness seem to be lacking by many," I SO agree!!

Laura, I agree with you about the lack of manners these days.  I raised my kids to be polite & thankfully they are, but they are in the minority.  Even many belonging to the "older" generation have regressed regarding courtesy. It's a shame.

13. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 10 years ago

The worst drivers around here are the aggressive and arrogant young men 18-25 who ignore stop signs and right- of- ways. They'll honk &  throw up rude gestures if you slow to turn in the driveway! The jockeying to get ahead on the freeways w/ dangerous lane changes has caused numerous accidents. Overly tired truck drivers are next. Both put lives in danger.

1. Laura Schneider profile image85

I think we all agree: there are DANGEROUS drivers out there, many of them, and they put not only their lives but others' in danger. Worldwide, rules (LAWS) of the road are very simple and designed for safety: only stupid people wouldn't follow them.

2. RealityTalk profile image61

Truth b told, even the police don't follow the simple rules. That is why a law was made 4 drivers to move over 1 lane when passing a stopped police car. The police step into the road with no safety in mind. Rules ARE simple, but stupidity is common

3. Laura Schneider profile image85

RealityTalk, you are right: even the police don't follow the simple rules. It is so unfortunate because they should be held to the highest standards as they set an example for the rest of us (good or bad--and they should be setting a good example).

14. BuffaloGal1960 profile image68
    BuffaloGal1960posted 10 years ago

I wouldn't lump all women in that dear Sir.  Not because I'm a woman. It makes me no difference if there is more in one category than the other.  But safe driving does matter and no texting while driving!  It's getting scarier every day!

I never said "all." There r many women who r better drivers than many men. Mine is an honest observation on numbers in general w/no monetary incentive or defensive posture because of my sex (like some). Men do wrong too, but women r not perfect.

15. Shyron E Shenko profile image69
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 10 years ago

I agree with Laura Schneider, this is a facetious answer.  Both males and females have good and bad drivers.  But one of our fellow hubbers, Au fait has a hub that gives current stats that say women are better drivers. And these are studies do by mostly men.

Have to disagree with you on this one.

Ah, but statistics always have an ulterior motive and men drive more than women and stats have to be undated "daily" and cover "everyone" to have any legitimacy. And I posed a "question," not an answer. lol.

16. aeraaf patel profile image66
    aeraaf patelposted 10 years ago

Women are safer drivers than men to some extent because
    1) The ratio of women drivers as compared to men drivers is less.
    2) Women drivers are dangerous to others drivers not to them themselves. big_smile

No but they easily get paniced in case of emergencies .

I love your answer! lol.

17. artist101 profile image60
    artist101posted 10 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8329120_f260.jpg

I think you've ruffled a few feathers here, including mine. Not gonna say im the best driver, but not the worst either. As the others say not gender specific, and you guys left out teens, not to isolate any group. Ive seen my fair share of "what the h*** are you doing? from going the wrong way on a highway exit ramp, reading a newspaper, to numerous other "things" im not gonna mention, and no not all female. Back in the day, I could drive a stick shift, drink coffee, and finish putting my makeup on all at the same time, (shhh, don't tell) but still pretty impressive. Without missing a beat. Just saying..........Are you trying to start a world war or what? That is "the" button not to push with a female, just letting you know, in case you didn't know. So i gather not married, right??? My advice? don't go there, just an opinion.....

1. artist101 profile image60
      artist101posted 10 years agoin reply to this

if you are married, im thinking the couch is gonna be your buddy for a while

2. RealityTalk profile image61

Happily married! My wife & I speak our minds & love each other 20+ yrs. I criticize my wife's driving often. Fear 4 my kids make me a good driver. Don't tell, but I changed from sneakers & shorts to a suit while driving daily. LOL.

3. artist101 profile image60

and did she read this question? and is still talking to you? lol good woman

4. RealityTalk profile image61

Our success at a happy marriage has been honesty, taking criticism, and acknowledging each others strengths & weaknesses. She knows I wrote this question. I'm a very controversial guy. LOL. Best to you!

So, HONESTLY how many car accidents have been in, RealityTalk? (Me=0 in 300k+mi, unless you count when my brakes went out on the freeway due to a computer glitch & the cars were recalled). Everyone, how about you? Honest or don't answer, please..

6. RealityTalk profile image61

Laura, Laura, Laura, are you defending all women?  You seem to be taking this very seriously & with a very defensive attitude.  LOL. To be specific, I asked about "worst drivers," not accidents. I suppose a bad driver can recover in time. LOL.

7. artist101 profile image60

Well Reality, Ive been in two, due to black ice on the freeway. Not my fault, just in the wrong place, at the wrong time. Kind of ironic, as I type this, sitting in a neck brace, after spine surgery. Never made the connection, hmmm. Knock on wood.

8. RealityTalk profile image61

artist101,
      I assume the surgery & resultant neck brace are unrelated to anything involving a vehicle?  I hope all went well with the surgery & I wish you the very best as well as a rapid & successful recovery!

9. artist101 profile image60

Thank you reality, not related to vehicle, more due to Lupus is my guess. The surgeon is the best in his field, yes recovery has been rapid, almost instantly felt better. Still rocking the Darth Vader Look, (neck brace), But much better!!

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)