jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

What little things are you doing to halt the progression of global warming?

1. harmony155 profile image69
    harmony155posted 4 years ago

What little things are you doing to halt the progression of global warming?

Have you made any changes in your lifestyle?

2. profile image0
    CalebSparksposted 4 years ago

One thing we could do is cut down on the amount of time politicians get to publicly speak. That would cut down on a lot of hot air that warms the environment.

3. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 4 years ago

Not really. I live the way I was brought up in the 50s- resourcefully. Instead of running out to buy something, I try to work with what I have. We live small and don't use central A/C. we recycle and carpool whenever possible. We plant trees and shrubs, gardening organically because we love insects and wildlife. Sadly,today is a throw away society of planned obsolescence and toxic tech toys - mostly propelled by greed and self-importance. Things must be discarded because parts are no longer available. Replacements are overpriced and cheaply made. This is counterproductive.

4. LandmarkWealth profile image81
    LandmarkWealthposted 4 years ago

I think we should do whatever the Dinosaurs did since one of the warmest periods in earths history was the Cretaceous Period.  Things seemed to reverse course.  This is not something I am particularly worried about.  I have been listening to alarm bells since the 70's when it was Global Cooling and the coming ice age, and we were supposed to melt the polar ice caps on purpose to slow the coming ice age.   We have had about 5 major ice ages already in earths history, and thawed out from each of them.  So climate change seems to be the norm.   Whatever impact humans have is insignificant as far as I am concerned.  If the oceans rise up and swallow long island, it will happen whether I use an electric car or not.

1. profile image0
      CalebSparksposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Very insightful answer, Landmark. I have learned something.

2. cat on a soapbox profile image96
      cat on a soapboxposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Natural cycles will happen regardless of human behavior, so I tend to think that man's "global warming " concerns are overblown since we can do little to halt it. Our actions, however, do affect climate change to a degree.

3. M. T. Dremer profile image95
      M. T. Dremerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Regardless of the Earth's weather cycles, it's impossible to deny that we're pumping a lot of pollution into the atmosphere. Such reckless behavior will have consequences. The Earth might correct it, but that doesn't mean we'll be around to see it.

4. LandmarkWealth profile image81
      LandmarkWealthposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The pollution is way overblown.  One volcanic eruption releases an massive amount of methane gas when compared to human activity.  We are just another chain in the ecosystem.  Human arrogance overstates its own importance and relevance.

5. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 4 years ago

I recycle using my parent's recycling program. The apartment complex where I live doesn't provide a recycling service. I've begun replacing the light bulbs in the apartment with eco friendly bulbs, and the only reason I haven't finished is because the cost difference between eco bulbs and regular bulbs is still huge. On a budget, it's hard to turn down a pack of 4 for a dollar. My wife and I drive fuel efficient cars and we are both vegetarians. I think where we falter most is electricity usage. Growing up in a tech heavy world means that things always need to be plugged in. We have everything in power strips, which can be turned off, but there are few instances where we aren't using them. My father just had solar panels installed in his house and is drastically reducing his energy usage, which is something I hope to do as well when I buy a house.

6. thomasczech profile image65
    thomasczechposted 4 years ago

I don't think there is anything we can do to stop it. I think this is a cycle the planet is going through, I also believe that pollution doesn't help, but I think that if we didn't pollute at all, this planet would still go through a climate change.

7. CrescentSkies profile image88
    CrescentSkiesposted 4 years ago

I'm eating more cows so there are less of them to cause CO2 emissions that pollute the atmosphere.

working