jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Has anyone heard of a major accidental killing over 1,000 POW's in Germany durin

1. LAURENS WRIGHT profile image51
    LAURENS WRIGHTposted 4 years ago

Has anyone heard of a major accidental killing over 1,000 POW's in Germany during WWII ?

My Dad is 93 years old and he keeps talking about being in Germany and was told to look at a mass grave of over 1.000 POW's that drank, what my Dad called, "BUZZ BOMB JUICE" .   There has to be some more information on this subject matter from others who witnessed this event or observed the mass grave.

2. christopheranton profile image74
    christopherantonposted 4 years ago

It appears to have been an illegal alchohol, distilled from the fuel of flying bombs. Troops in Germany drank it at the end of the war. It could cause blindness and sometimes death.
    If you google "buzz bomb juice", you will find out more information.

3. CHRIS57 profile image61
    CHRIS57posted 4 years ago

Must have been associated with the massive production of methanol for high energy fuels for aircrafts, tanks, rockets...towards the end of the war.
    In instable war times, risk to mix methanol and ethanol was potentially high.

4. Borsia profile image46
    Borsiaposted 4 years ago

It was the same thing as "torpedo juice" a powerful alcoholic brew but having many potentially lethal other elements in it if brewed wrong or if you drank too  much.
    Another problem however was the inconsistency of the fuel that meant that one batch might be drinkable while the next could be very toxic. If 1,000 died at one time it was most likely that they either got a batch of fuel that was made from Methanol instead of Ethel alcohol.
    Buzz bomb juice was more common after the war during the occupation and the casualties were most often allied troops.
    I never heard of the incident you are referring to but these things are all too common in war.

working