jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Should prisoners in the UK and around the world have the right to vote?

1. Leanne1783 profile image76
    Leanne1783posted 4 years ago

Should prisoners in the UK and around the world have the right to vote?

2. MrsGray32 profile image61
    MrsGray32posted 4 years ago

I dont think so.  I mean they in are prision for disobeying the laws set forth by their government.  I dont think they should have the right to vote.

3. chef-de-jour profile image97
    chef-de-jourposted 4 years ago

I think yes, they should, for the simple reason that they are still a part of the system. Prisoners are still citizens even if they've committed a crime and shown resentment towards that system and society. Prisoners still have rights and should not have to forfeit their intelligence or political nous simply because they broke the law.
    Not allowing a prisoner a vote reflects badly on society and government. It is tantamount to saying - you're no good, you're useless, you may not even exist.

I cannot see the right in any argument that says: by breaking the law you are no longer considered a bona fide citizen. It's not about respect, or love, or denial, it's about being a human being in a mature political democracy.

I say everyone is equal in this, criminal in prison or free citizen.

4. PositronWildhawk profile image78
    PositronWildhawkposted 4 years ago

The first question we need to ask ourselves what is a criminal? The answer is a person that has somehow broken the law due to struggles with the rules of society; to elaborate, a simple fact shows that crime is common among the lower income class, the people who are hit the hardest by the government's policies.
    And if the intention of justice system is to rehabilitate the individual. I ask you, what better way than to engage him in the political process so that he can believe and conform to the institution of the country
    There are many encyclopedias and studies that clearly state, and I quote “Prison encourages the personal reform of those who are sent to prison” This is evidence directly supporting the heart of my point and therefore these prisoners should have an authorized say in the future of their country and their lives.

5. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

No. By committing crimes and being sentenced to prison, they are being placed out of society and into a punishment center. They do not deserve the right to vote in those centers. However, it is regrettable that they have more rights than the victims of some of their crimes. Some in the prison system will never leave. Why should we allow serial killers, mentally ill individuals, rapists and child molesters the right to vote? Those on death row too? Have you been around an antisocial individual? They are constantly released and continually sentenced back. Try visiting a prison sometime.

working