jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Should citizens, including felons, have a Constitutional right to vote not depen

1. Johnny James A profile image75
    Johnny James Aposted 22 months ago

Should citizens, including felons, have a Constitutional right to vote not dependent on state law?

The founding fathers' original draft the Constitution  avoided direct stance on who got the privilege to vote. Instead they purposely gave the States the power to determine who could vote. They did this knowing that many states would deny women, minorities, slaves, and non-landed white men the privilege to vote. This is ironic since America fought a war against England in part because they were tired of not having representation in matters, which affected their life. Subsequent amendments have guaranteed that rights could not be denied to one based on "certain" criteria.

2. lions44 profile image98
    lions44posted 22 months ago

Absolutely, provided their probation has been served and they have stay out of trouble. I think restoring someone's voting rights goes a long way to making them feel like they have a stake.  I'm glad many of my fellow GOPers are leading the way on this issue.

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image30
      bradmasterOCcalposted 22 months agoin reply to this

CJ
      Not being in any party, I disagree. And the ? didn't restrict it to after probation. Criminals lose many of the constitutional rights, and it continues during probation. Should we also let non citizens vote in our elections?

2. ptosis profile image73
      ptosisposted 22 months agoin reply to this

+brad How did you drag noncitizens as equal as citizens with a felony record?  Are you saying ex-cons are non citizens?

3. lions44 profile image98
      lions44posted 22 months agoin reply to this

Thanks, James...

3. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 22 months ago

My view is that every adult should have the right to vote.   To say that a person cannot vote because they're now in prison is, in a way, to say that they 'no longer exist.'   No one should be discriminated against.

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image30
      bradmasterOCcalposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Tom
      You and everyone else is discriminated by people everyday. The concept of equality is a farce. The constitutional didn't provide for it. They didn't even think blacks were worth a whole person&they didn't give them or women the right to vote

2. Tusitala Tom profile image65
      Tusitala Tomposted 22 months agoin reply to this

You're right, Bradmaster.  But that doesn't mean it's just.  When the American Constitution was written we lived in a very different world. I believe all human beings have a right to be heard and express their opinions.

4. fpherj48 profile image76
    fpherj48posted 22 months ago

Hello Everyone!.....Listen to this!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3VLqLL … e=youtu.be

working