jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

What is the point of a popular voting system?

1. andrew savage profile image60
    andrew savageposted 4 years ago

What is the point of a popular voting system?

2. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 4 years ago

The popular voting system is used in many states to indicate the preference of candidates, so that those elected to serve in the electoral college will know  what the people of the state want. I have struggled with the concept of the electoral college for years, but I keep coming back, to the point that it is less likely be to subject to fixed elections and it does have the Congress to act as a check on its decisions.

Depending on a popular vote, with each state having different voting laws, voting hours etc. would make it almost impossible to assure an accurate outcome. Perhaps when we get to the point that all voting machines in a presidential election uploads its result to a central computer, which can then be checked against the individual votes in each state, we may be able to do away with the electoral college. However, I do not see that happening anytime soon.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

There isn't my friend. The electoral votes are intended to reflect on the popular vote. We all know how that turns out. Simply speaking, it has no point. The electoral college has the final vote.

1. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 4 years agoin reply to this

So, how should the members of the electoral college be elected if we do not have a vote by the people.  Our election system needs reform, but everyone has a different idea of reform. I have written about this for years and have not found answer.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Great question! I do not have an answer Larry.

3. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I have the same problem.

working