jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

So my next piece requires facts that are not common knowledge, thus I need to ci

1. easilyamused profile image82
    easilyamusedposted 4 years ago

So my next piece requires facts that are not common knowledge, thus I need to cite sources.

Do I cite sources after the sentence parenthetically or have a reference section at
    Bottom of my hub?

2. chuckd7138 profile image80
    chuckd7138posted 4 years ago

You could do it using the APA style. That means that you have a reference section at the end, but you put author name and year in parentheses directly after your referenced statement.

For example, you could have it this way:
    O'Reilly, Bill (2003). Who's Looking Out For You?. Broadway Books. ISBN 0-7679-1379-5.
    After a sentence using this source, you would put (O'Reilly, 2003).

Some time ago, I posted on HubPages one of my papers from college. It's about "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" by Samuel Taylor Coleridge. I used the APA-style reference list and notations. Check it out, if you like.

Also, you could notate your references like the entries on Wikipedia. In the end, the style that you choose is completely up to you. Good luck!

3. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 4 years ago

Honestly, for a hub, I don't think you need parenthetical citations.  Just a reference list at the end would be okay.

However, if you do want to cite parenthetically, I'd use MLA.  It's easier than the other versions, and there's also tons of resources on the web that use it.

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/01/

http://bcs.bedfordstmartins.com/resdoc5 … -0011.html

Just to give you a few quick pointers.

If you are citing a website, you cite the parenthetical by the author's last name, such as (Jones).  If you don't have an author, you cite the article like this: ("title").  The period also goes after the parenthesis. 

For books, it's the author's last name and page number.  For example, (Jones 25).

4. Mark Lees profile image83
    Mark Leesposted 4 years ago

It doesn't really matter which way you do it provided you make it clear where the references apply from. Usually I would but a list of sources at the end and use the name of the person within the text if possible, or in brackets if not.

5. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image60
    Jo_Goldsmith11posted 4 years ago

I would offer a reference section at the bottom of the hub. This would be better than to use ( ). I learned this in my writing class, that it is easier for the reader to understand and it will leave your article polished. :-)

6. My Esoteric profile image92
    My Esotericposted 4 years ago

I am only commenting so that I can get back to this page to study further for a book I am finishing.

7. simondixie profile image89
    simondixieposted 4 years ago

The answer that chuckd7138 gave (below) sounds great to me. I like the APA style also. It's clear and concise. In recent years, the MLA style (Modern Language Association) and the APA styles have become more similar. Most teachers like the fact that these two styles are becoming more and more alike because of the fact that the merging of these two styles makes the documenting process easier for writers (and for students, too). I'm looking forward to reading your next hub. Good luck!

8. conradofontanilla profile image82
    conradofontanillaposted 4 years ago

I usually cite my sources after the sentence parenthetically. However, there are styles of citing sources like MLA. Just be consistent in your style.

9. Kahana profile image79
    Kahanaposted 4 years ago

Assign a reference number in parenthesis at the end of the sentence, and then the associated list (numerically) of the references at the end of the article.

10. cebutouristspot profile image75
    cebutouristspotposted 4 years ago

The important thing is that you cite your sources.  Either method is aceptable

Closed to reply

working