jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Why are we letting the US Government take over our lives?

1. wmhoward4 profile image71
    wmhoward4posted 3 years ago

Why are we letting the US Government take over our lives?

Why do we the people tolerate a federal government that claims it is serving us but is actually taking away all our rights bit by bit?  The IRS is a prime example. Should we have to live in fear in our country? Federal agencies walk all over us. They even hurt the people they are supposed to be helping.

2. raymondphilippe profile image83
    raymondphilippeposted 3 years ago

I would be scared to live in a country  where so much people carry/own guns,  where an ever growing income and capital inequality won't stand the test of time and where political and religious hatred  seems paramount (judging by the 'debates' in the q&a section) and where a central government can not do anything right.

wmhoward4posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Because the PEOPLE own guns in America (for now) we cannot be subjected to what the people of Syria and the like get from their government. More people are murdered by governments than manage to kill each other.

2. raymondphilippe profile image83
      raymondphilippeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Now that seems to make perfect sense. All the more reason to stay  there and have fun with your guns.

3. chef-de-jour profile image97
    chef-de-jourposted 3 years ago

Whether we like it or not we're all in some sort of political system. In the US and countries like the UK we have mature democracy (in the UK a very mature democracy!) where we get the right to vote unhindered and the majority rules the roost.
    If you don't like what the government is doing you can protest, create an internet petition, join a group or society, withhold your labour, write letters of complaint, speak with your local elected politician and talk your way into changing things.
    I agree, most governments at some time in their lives do the wrong thing.It's up to ordinary folk like you and me to register complaints and fight against the wrongs.

Yes, it is always important to fight the good fight..

4. M. T. Dremer profile image96
    M. T. Dremerposted 3 years ago

How is the IRS a prime example? Because we pay taxes? That's hardly a new concept. For any government to function, they need revenue. It's the price of things like roads and policemen. Sure, there is a lot of bureaucracy and corruption in government, but they're hardly taking over our lives.

The IRS and other agencies have abused their authority and ruined peoples' lives.

2. M. T. Dremer profile image96
      M. T. Dremerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Do you have examples of them ruining people's lives?

5. IDONO profile image82
    IDONOposted 3 years ago

Because as a whole, we have become dependent on the government for so much that to raise too much stink would be cutting our own throats. I'm not saying everyone, so no one need get upset. Set aside the obvious such as welfare and unemployment. Even Obamacare. We here how many people will lose health insurance, but where would we be if they scrapped it and said they were scrapping Medicare and Medicaid also? How many people look for work because the FCC provides them a free phone?(Obamaphone). How many jobs would be lost if not for government contracts? They could build their own facilities if they chose to, but they contract out.  We complain about how much money is spent on political campaigns, but how many jobs does this provide? That's tax money that's going right back into the pockets of the American work force.
         We all want government to cut programs or funding of programs...as long as it isn't one of our own. I only touched on a few out of uncountable things that Americans are dependent on. So we figure if we want to continue benefiting from government programs, we have no choice but to go along with what they do. To change that would take enormous sacrifice and I don't think a spoiled America is willing to do that. At least right now they aren't.

working