jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Do you think people who use illegal drugs should be put in jail?

1. Seckin Esen profile image91
    Seckin Esenposted 3 years ago

Do you think people who use illegal drugs should be put in jail?

2. Bk42author profile image80
    Bk42authorposted 3 years ago

In my opinion there are worse things people should be put in jail for; drug users can be fined.

3. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 3 years ago

Depends on the drugs and if they are physically or emotionally addicted. Mainly this is based off if they are hurting themselves or others. Also, if they are huffing legal high suppliers, it is likely they should go to jail. Note that I say jail instead of prison.

4. mgeorge1050 profile image79
    mgeorge1050posted 3 years ago

No, I think all drugs should be legal.  There is nothing anyone can do to stop drug use, and the US currently wastes billions every year in the "war on drugs".  All this has done is create a dangerous black market that has cost the lives of countless innocent people.  Legalizing drugs would save billions and create tons of tax revenue.  This money could be used to educate youth and rehabilitate those in need.  The government would have much more success controlling legal substances than squandering billions in their feeble effort to stop less than twenty percent of American drug traffic.  When a junkie needs to get more drugs, he doesn't go to a safe, clean, legal location out of public view and pay taxes on his purchase.  A junkie in need goes to a gas station, parks beside you and your kids, and helps to further fund major organized crime.

5. Silva Hayes profile image90
    Silva Hayesposted 3 years ago

No, I don't think people who use illegal drugs should be put in jail.  Perhaps mgeorge1050 is right.  Sometimes there is no perfect solution so we just have to do the most logical thing.  Putting users in jail is not logical.  I would rather my tax dollars be spent on rehab and education and overseeing the manufacture of drugs so that they are not contaminated.  If a user becomes incapacitated and a danger to others, then they should be treated the same as someone who drinks too much alcohol and drives a car.

6. tehgyb profile image85
    tehgybposted 3 years ago

No. Incarcerating drug users is only compounding the problem.
    I do believe that addictions to hard drugs are actually an illness and should be treated instead of punished.

7. jkbrent profile image60
    jkbrentposted 3 years ago

Jail? Not as a first answer. Just saying 'drugs' is too broad though. But, slapping someone with a Felony record, is not the answer either. Feds have no business telling towns and states what local crime of any kind constitutes a Felony.

8. passionatelearnr profile image91
    passionatelearnrposted 2 years ago

it would be wrong to put them in jail.drug addicts suffer from depression and other issues,they need help and compassion.people who bring drugs into a country should be put behind bars.

working