jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

What is the proper way to seek help in a mental crisis situation?

1. Elearn4Life profile image76
    Elearn4Lifeposted 4 years ago

What is the proper way to seek help in a mental crisis situation?

With police officers not thoroughly trained you are jeopardizing  the health of the person in crisis. What is the proper way to get a mentally unstable person to the hospital safely?

2. erorantes profile image51
    erorantesposted 4 years ago

There is not properly way of taking a mental sick person to the hospital. Another way is the ambulance that take people with the jacket on.

3. CraftytotheCore profile image82
    CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years ago

My son has Autism.  After his diagnosis, he had a terrible meltdown during the period of time the doctors were adjusting his medication.  He became very violent.  I had no choice but to call 911.  Here in CT, we have a number 211.  That's used for emergency mental health crisis situations.  They send a mobile psychiatric unit to anywhere the person is having a problem.  The day I called 211, no one could come out.  So I had to call 911.  It was the most frightening experience I ever encountered.  I thought for sure the police would hurt my child.  However, these are the steps I took and we had a very caring outcome.  1)  Have the medical records nearby.  2)  Tell 911 dispatch that the person has mental illness and has a diagnosis. 

The day I called 911, the police officers responded with an ambulance.  Every single one of the emergency workers and the police officers were the most caring individuals.  I am so thankful to them for how effective and caring they were to my son. 

It can be very unsafe to travel in a vehicle with a mentally unstable person.  If possible, use 911.  If not, make sure the person is safely seat belted and unable to harm the driver of the vehicle.  It helps if there is a passenger that can sit with the person while someone else drives.

1. Elearn4Life profile image76
      Elearn4Lifeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I wish it was that simple with a man that is bipolar. If you have difficulty transporting someone the police is sent to assist. Some are uncaring and not professional making the situation worse.

working