jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Man or woman, would you feel comfortable rooming with opposite sex, who likes sa

1. backporchstories profile image81
    backporchstoriesposted 3 years ago

Man or woman, would you feel comfortable rooming with opposite sex, who likes same gender?

I am a new roommate to a gay friend and I have had others say, "well at least you will be safe".  How do you feel about living with the opposite gender, when that gender likes their own? Would you feel safe, weird or feel like you are sinning?

2. bethperry profile image92
    bethperryposted 3 years ago

I would want to know anyone well before deciding to room with them, and it doesn't matter what gender they are or what sexual preference they have. In knowing our prospective roommate beforehand, we are able to determine if their disposition will clash with ours, and of course it saves us from the unwanted realization we are living with a dangerous person. And just because someone is gay it doesn't automatically mean that we are safe. So, if you feel comfortable with your roommate, then that should be good enough for anyone.

Oh, and as for feeling like I may be "sinning", well I'm not Christian so wouldn't judge them in a Judeo-Christian light anyway.

backporchstoriesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yes...sinning... is probably better exchanged with "against one's personal moral character".  Good call!

3. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 3 years ago

Just like having a heterosexual roommate all I would ask is that they were polite, respectful, and cleaned up after themselves. I don't see why it would make anyone feel weird unless they were watching the room mate have sex. After all a straight male room mate might be doing sodomy (or anal sex) and I doubt anyone would feel weird so long as they were not being subject to seeing the act or hearing about it. With that said I doubt my level of safeness would be any better, but I also wouldn't have to worry about being hit on so that would make the male female room mate situation more comfortable.

4. ladyweight profile image82
    ladyweightposted 3 years ago

Whether male or female, straight or gay, I would not feel comfortable rooming with anyone I don't know anything about. To answer your question, it really is a matter of choice. If you are female and have a gay male room mate, you might feel a bit at ease because he probably won't hit on you. However, some gay men have sexual feelings toward women occasionally and some men pretend to be gay to gain the trust of women. Just be careful and find out as much as possible about this person before making a decision.

Straight to the point advice.  Can not agree more!

5. profile image48
    bassilynnesandersposted 3 years ago

Why should that be an issue? If he is your friend then no matter what sexual preference he has, you should not be thinking about being unsafe.

I can not agree more....I was taken back when a friend made that comment!

working