jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What is the difference between "Jail" and "Prison"?

1. m0rd0r profile image74
    m0rd0rposted 3 years ago

What is the difference between "Jail" and "Prison"?

I started watching "Orange is the new black" and the actress just said "It's a prison, not a jail."

(English is not my main language)

2. wqaindia profile image82
    wqaindiaposted 3 years ago

No much difference. It is just before and after conviction. Confinement before conviction leads to imprisonment and after conviction the convicted is sent to Jail. I have not watched "Orange is the new Black" but I can guess that actress might be talking about relationship before and after marriage. Did she left the prison or allowed herself to be put in Jail.

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

Jail in the U.S. A. is usually associated with a (short-term) sentence in a local town/city/count facility where the crime was committed while prison is normally for (long-term) sentences often located in isolated places away from the general public.
    A person who is arrested for drinking and driving, protesting/sitting in, or getting into a fight most likely would go to jail for the night or weekend...etc Serious offenders are also placed in jail while they await the results of their trial.
    A person who kills someone would go to prison to serve several years or possibly life/death penalty if they're found guilty.

4. poppyr profile image98
    poppyrposted 3 years ago

Jail is where the police put you when you're initially arrested or detained, you're put in jail for, example, overnight.
    Prison is where you go when you're sentenced in front of a judge and jury.

5. Perspycacious profile image82
    Perspycaciousposted 3 years ago

Today's "jail" tends to be local, for locals arrested and/or convicted of less serious crimes.  "Prison" is for prisoners representing a wider area (county jail, versus state prison) and longer periods of incarceration for generally more serious convictions.

6. Penny G profile image72
    Penny Gposted 3 years ago

As a state Corrections Officer I might be able to help you here. "Jail" is a short term confinement , up to 365 days .  It is also where you are detained until your trail, conviction,  and  sentencing  You can stay in Jail after you have been convicted. All crimes do not necessarily mean you are going to Prison. If your sentence is over a year you will probably be picked up and taken to Prison. Prisons are run by the state in most cases. There are however privately run Prisons. Prisons are for Felons and parole violators. Most people with misdemeanor charges do their time in county and city jails.

working