Senator Elizabeth Warren says the game is rigged, is she right, wrong or a bit o

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Express10 profile image87
    Express10posted 4 years ago

Senator Elizabeth Warren says the game is rigged, is she right, wrong or a bit of both?

She has argued that student loan rates should be the same as the rates banks borrowing from the Federal Reserve get, that those working 40 hours a week should not live in poverty and that financial institutions need to be regulated more closely. The Senator says that markets must be made to work for real people. Is she right, wrong or bit of both?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/9486450_f260.jpg

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

Equality will always be something like "world peace". It's something we all (say) we believe in or want to see but it will never happen. At best we can hope for some "improvements".
    As my mother often reminded me in my childhood: "Life is not fair!"
    It doesn't matter if you shoot a basketball 1000 times a day you're not going to be the next Michael Jordan! If you're accused of a crime and you're counting on a "public defender" you are not going to have the same trial results as a rich person with a team of lawyers.
    If OJ Simpson had been OJ Washington high school janitor he would have gotten convicted. That also goes for Robert Blake.That's life!
    However deep down I don't believe people (really) want equality. In fact when everyone is the same or has the same things we call it "average" or "mediocrity". It's human nature to want to compare, compete, and measure ourselves against others.
    People would freak out if our school systems dropped letter grades and simply went with pass or fail. Who would be valedictorian?
    In America it's all about being and having the BEST, traveling first class/business class, 5 Star hotels and restaurants. I can't imagine a world where everything was "equal" and everyone was treated to the same experience.
    What people REALLY want is an equal chance at becoming Special!

1. tsmog profile image81
      tsmogposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The last line is certainly an interesting perspective. I can relate to that with how many times sharing this or that some people to most always have a better this or that. Seems usually that is shared before recognition occurs. I know I am guilty too

3. lisavollrath profile image95
    lisavollrathposted 4 years ago

I think the Senator is right.

We should be investing in our future by cutting student loan rates, so graduates don't come out of school with a debt they can never possibly pay off. Very soon, only the wealthy will be able to afford a college education.

We should ensure that large corporations making millions or billions in profit are reinvesting some of that money in their employees, offering them better pay and benefits. Working 40 hours a week should provide the basics, no matter how menial the job might be.

We should regulate financial institutions to insure that our economy isn't destroyed just to line the pockets of people who already have more than they'll ever need.

What happens if we fail to do these things? The rich get richer, and the poor get poorer. I'm pretty sure that formula almost always leads to revolution.

1. ChristinS profile image94
      ChristinSposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely - the ever shrinking middle class will cease to exist on our current path.

2. Express10 profile image87
      Express10posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you both. I have noticed in a few industries that part time and freelance work becomes common when employers do not want to provide decent pay or benefits, leaving a fair number of people to work multiple part time jobs in poverty.

4. Diana Lee profile image81
    Diana Leeposted 4 years ago

She is right.  The system sucks.  Only the clever ones smart enough to work the system will benefit from it. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.  The middle man will pay the toll for all.  Or at least that's what it appears to be.

5. rharper profile image71
    rharperposted 4 years ago

One time an old man told me, "You got to know how the system is set up".  Unfortunately, when you're young the options are not presented to you.  For example, you hear public announcements about how you need to go to college.  Well, maybe college isn't right for everyone.  Maybe one could learn why taking a large sum of money to attempt something that has no clear end purpose can destroy your financial future.

An added note:  If Elizabeth Warren is saying we must reduce the interest rate on student loans maybe we should have a system that doesn't require you to borrow ten years of your life away.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)