jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

Should pastors have to submit their sermons before the government to be okayed t

1. profile image59
    mrconspiracyposted 3 years ago

Should pastors have to submit their sermons before the government to be okayed to preach?

Is this not against the first amendment? Does this not break seperation between church and state? Our founders gave us separation of church and state so that we would not be imposed on by the government!! I think Gods people need to obey Him and let this government worry about its own problems! What is your take?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/11909568_f260.jpg

2. Snøwman profile image59
    Snøwmanposted 3 years ago

It absolutely is against the first amendment. Freedom of religion and freedom of speech are both being violated here.

3. thomasczech profile image70
    thomasczechposted 3 years ago

In my opinion, any government of any level demands that a pastor surrender their sermons to them, that in itself is illegal. This will bring us onto the fast track of nazism, communism or any form of dictatorship. If a government wants to know what is in a sermon, then why don't they just go to that church and listen in?
    I find that we are quickly moving into what George Orwell wrote in his book, titled, "1984". we are losing our rights and freedoms very quickly.

4. cjhunsinger profile image72
    cjhunsingerposted 3 years ago

Absolutely not, but then you go on to say, "I think Gods people need to obey Him." If you are telling me that people need to obey this god, are you not of the same totalitarian cloth?

1. profile image59
      mrconspiracyposted 3 years agoin reply to this

The "Him" I'm speaking of is God, not man. Sorry, maybe I should have clarified that a little better.

2. lone77star profile image84
      lone77starposted 3 years agoin reply to this

CJ, that's a common misconception. If God were selfish, then it would be totalitarian, indeed. But God is Love and all He wants is for us to have pleasure. Our distance from Him is what causes suffering. It's called Ego.

5. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 3 years ago

Absolutely not! This is an egregious violation of the 1st amendment. Separation of Church and state is just that. Separation!

6. Zelkiiro profile image93
    Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago

Where the hell did this come from? No. Obviously no. The government has no say in what any religion (or lack thereof) does, as long as no laws are being broken.

1. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 3 years agoin reply to this

This came from the new homosexual female mayor who wants all sermons, comments, talk in the pulpit about herself. Keep on wishing lady. You are indeed infringing on these Pastors rights under the 1st amendment.

2. jlpark profile image84
      jlparkposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I am appalled re this mayor. But would also wonder if then religion should stay out of legal proceedings eg against SS marriage - separation of church and state and all. One can't have ones cake and eat it too - just my 2 cents fit what it's worth

7. Old-Empresario profile image82
    Old-Empresarioposted 3 years ago

Yes, if people believe in a god or gods they should be allowed to worship freely as long as it does not interfere with the rights of others. This is protected by the Bill of Rights and has been upheld by the Supreme Court in many cases.

working