jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Should President Obama be held accountable for derogatory comments of senior whi

1. K. Burns Darling profile image81
    K. Burns Darlingposted 3 years ago

Should President Obama be held accountable for derogatory comments of senior white house officials?

In an article published 10/28/2014, Jeffery Goldberg quoted two unnamed  senior white house officials as having called Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, "chickenshit',  Should President Obama be held accountable for naming the unnamed white house staffers. disciplining them, and apologizing for them?

2. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

He's only responsible if he put them up to it. To answer the other parts of your question 1) Obama should not be held accountable, 2) he should discipline them, and 3) he should make them make a public apology. People - from our children to our elected officials or their staff - have to learn from there own mistakes. They're the ones who need to be held accountable for the actions and face the consequences for their wrong doing. If I was the one being insulted, I wouldn't accept an apology from a child's parent or the President for the words of his underlings. They're not the people who did me wrong.

3. Ericdierker profile image54
    Ericdierkerposted 3 years ago

I appreciate you asking this question. But we should not even be at the point of taking it seriously. Good, bad or indifferent it is the hallmark of a leader that they take responsibility and accountability for all their subordinates. How he cleans house on the inside is his business although we will watch but he is responsible to the outside no matter what.
    This presidency has turned this on it's head and somehow thinks they can actually blame subordinates and underlings. Inside my home a child's bad conduct will be dealt with, but to the outside world it is all my responsibility. The same is true for CEOs and Generals. Inside we deal with it but outside there is but one ultimate authority and responsible party.
    A foreign president does not know staffers and could care less about them. But he must care about the respect the leader of a country shows. And that can only be established by that leader accepting responsibility and setting matters straight by themselves.

4. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

No. Each of us gets to make our own choices  and say whatever we think. You should not be held "accountable" for what someone else thinks or says. It's gotten to the point that if it rains it's Obama's fault!
    He's made enough mistakes of his own without us having to saddle him with the mistakes of others in my opinion.

1. profile image0
      sheilamyersposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Well said!