jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

What is the form of term 'Police' ?

1. Josh Makaveli profile image34
    Josh Makaveliposted 3 years ago

What is the form of term 'Police' ?

i want to know how come the idea of police is discovered. Also the full form of this term and from where it is derived.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/11979189_f260.jpg

2. chaitanyasaivb profile image75
    chaitanyasaivbposted 3 years ago

I may not be sure of the full form of police, But, I have heard it from somewhere that. P - Polite , O - Obedient , L- Loyal, I - Intelligence, C - Courage, E - Ease of Help. And I am not sure, how the idea of the police has been discovered.

Josh Makaveliposted 3 years agoin reply to this

i believe the one you are referring to is recently derived however i wanted to know the complete history for this term

3. Old-Empresario profile image81
    Old-Empresarioposted 3 years ago

In the etymology, think of similar words: polis, policy, polity, politics. The word being used for law enforcement originated as a slang term in reference to the government. It's sort of similar to the way people in the US or Mexico refer to federal police as "Feds". A correct title for police would be Law-Enforcement Officers. The word "police" goes back in history as a slang term for a law-enforcement officer representing the local government. It probably emerged among the criminal class and reached the mainstream that way. There are often modern-day slang terms for police in the US, like "cops" (referring to their copper their badges).

According to my knowledge, it started from a word 'Sheriff' in 18th century for law enforcement officer but i dont know what were the reasons ad why the name it police

4. connorj profile image76
    connorjposted 3 years ago

This was explained to me when I was in Oxford, England. Believe it or not, one unfair yet popular tax that was instigated sometimes was the Poll Tax. Sometimes enforcement was necessary to collect it. The term for these enforcers was Pollies...

ohh really? you mean they were formed to collect taxes from public through force if someone is not willing to pay?

working