What is your definition of a Liberal in American politics today?
I have known many who identify as Liberal and no two will define it in the same way. Perhaps. being a Liberal is a stand on ambiguity, a position on fluff and puff and feel good obsecurities.
I have often wondered when is a Liberal, not a socialist, not a Marxist and I have asked this of several Liberals. Some will adamantly deny the ascertion, while other acquiesce to a more liberal Marxist position and others embrace totalitarianism as the only way to achieve peace, harmony and equality.
For me a Liberal is either someone who wants control over others or wants something he has not earned.
1) Belief that an active government brings positive change, hence more spending and higher taxes
2) That wealth must be redistributed to level the playing field
3) That capitalism fuels inequality, waste, greed and war.
4) That the worlds welfare must come before our own nations welfare or we're being selfish
5) That a persons physical circumstances rather than life choices are the main determinants as to who the person becomes
6) Holding a secular rather than a Christian worldview.
7) Tendency to see America as just another nation or often the instigator of the worlds problems, the same could be said of the nation of Israel
8) Is suspicious of individual achievement, whether by a person or a nation.
9) Belief that the Constitution is a Living Document and therefore able to be bent to accommodate their agenda.
10) Belief that the Constitution if interpreted according to its original intent is hopelessly obsolete.
by Demas W Jasper3 years ago
What is your definition of a Conservative in American politics today?
by Tim Mitchell12 months ago
What are your 'feelings' about politics today?I realize we all have opinions about politics with its many directions and controversies. But, what are your 'feelings'? Maybe that can be expanded with the interactions one...
by Tim Mitchell8 months ago
For Americans, after American politics which other country's politics is most important today?
by TheManWithNoPants5 years ago
How open are you to a MAJOR change in American politicsIf we want to change washington, we have to change ourselves first. We have to change our expectations. We have to raise them. Washington's...
by Max Havlick5 years ago
Is something wrong with American politics, and if so, what, and how would you correct it?Pres. Obama said last week, “There is nothing wrong with our country right now, [but] there is something wrong with our...
by Michael Degnan, Jr.3 years ago
Are our (Americans) rights being stripped from us? If so, is this loss worth the security?
Copyright © 2018 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.