jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you believe we should take care of the needy of our nation before those of an

1. profile image60
    Hope - Graceposted 3 years ago

Do you believe we should take care of the needy of our nation before those of another country?

2. junkseller profile image84
    junksellerposted 3 years ago

I find it useful to think of the world as a neighborhood. A couple streets, a bunch of house, kids playing out front, etc.

Do you have to take care of yourself and your family first? Sure, but this isn't an all or nothing scenario. You should always be mindful of others around you and help out with what you can.

That isn't just an altruistic attitude. Even if all you really care about is yourself, what happens to yourself when your neighborhood degrades? People move, property devalues, a couple houses burn down, crime moves in, etc.

We don't live on a remote island. We are interconnected. Taking care of others is in part also taking care of ourselves.

That doesn't mean that we have the proper balance, but it is a mistake to suggest that we should just ignore our neighbor's house burning down.

3. Mr. Happy profile image83
    Mr. Happyposted 3 years ago

As Mr. Junkseller said, it helps to think of "the world as a neighborhood": One planet, One people. Beneath the colour of the skin, we are all the same. From what I know nobody bleeds blue, or green.

I am of the opinion that those who need help, should be helped if possible, irrespective of where they live, what colour they are, what language they speak, or what Gods they pray to.

4. vicki simms profile image75
    vicki simmsposted 3 years ago

In my opinion I think you should look after the needy of your own country first. I live in the UK and we have suffered/are suffering from awful flooding, poverty, homeless etc etc yet we are always helping other countries first, which is a good thing but charity definately needs to start at home.

5. CrescentSkies profile image86
    CrescentSkiesposted 3 years ago

Yes. If a country can't take care of itself it has no right to take care of others.