jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Does GMO contamination confer ownership to Monsanto?

1. lone77star profile image84
    lone77starposted 3 years ago

Does GMO contamination confer ownership to Monsanto?

If GMO pollen blows from a field with GMO crops into an organic (non-GMO) field, should Monsanto (or other patent holder) be allowed to sue the victim farmer for theft of their genetic property? This is already happening.

If the victim farmer's crop is entirely contaminated, should Monsanto be allowed to claim that crop as theirs? If the DNA of GMO crops contaminates your body, do you become the property of Monsanto?

2. handymanbill profile image80
    handymanbillposted 3 years ago

Its should be considered an act of nature. People have no control over an act of nature. Actually it should be the other way around. The farmer with organic crops should be able to sue GMO. The other question is No. That is a ridiculous question.

3. Buildreps profile image91
    Buildrepsposted 3 years ago

Legally and technically speaking the bio farmer could do the same.

Monsanto can be sued for contaminating the bio farmer's crop, and above all for doing an inappropriate job, since the GMO crop is still capable of spreading itself. While this should be part of a proper genetic engineering to prevent this.

4. Express10 profile image88
    Express10posted 3 years ago

Let me start off by saying I hate Monsanto and their tactics. To answer your question, I say that Monsanto's crops are contaminating other people's crops and the farmers should be able to sue but Monsanto does a variety of things that are frightening to discourage that. Also, knowing Monsanto's financial might, most farmers do not sue because they will be financially ruined.
    I cannot fathom why so many people have never sought out information about this company and that so many people who know of the name believe Monsanto is not the problem. They do not want to disclose what they are doing to food and those who eat not only Monsanto products, but those contaminated by them. I also cannot understand why more people don't thoroughly investigate what Monsanto is doing to food that they eat and feed their loved ones.

5. tooancienttocare profile image61
    tooancienttocareposted 3 years ago

In the current scientific and political situation surrounding GMO's, I feel nothing less than a major class action lawsuit against Monsanto should happen every single time their crops contaminate another's  food/property.  Unfortunately the deck is stacked in Monsanto's favor.  They own the politicians.