Do we currently stand amid the ruins of civilization?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)
  1. profile image59
    retief2000posted 3 years ago

Do we currently stand amid the ruins of civilization?

Just as 4th Century Romans stood amid the fragments and hollow edifices of a collapsed civilization, every day we are surrounded by the hollow people of our own collapsed civilization. A society that once looked to the stars as a great opportunity, a final frontier, now wallows in decline as we race toward the lowest denominator. Look at just one photo of a working class crowd emerging from church or going to a baseball game in the 1940's. Men who wore coveralls and worked in factories adorned in ties and jackets.Now people wear pajamas as if they were appropriate attire for anything but sleep

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

I too have noticed a lot of pajama wearing in public places too!
    These people go to the bank, grocery store, mall, and fast food restaurants in clearly what appears to be pajama bottoms and sometimes in slippers!
    I don't think it's the end of civilization but it does appear certain people have taken "casual dress" to the extreme. Body hugging black tights/leggings are also being worn (everywhere) by teens and young women these days. Very few men are outraged though. smile
    Who would have predicted this back in the 80s when it was fashionable to walk around in jogging suits with no plans to exercise.
    When Michael Jackson showed up in court wearing pajama bottoms I thought he'd lost his mind. He was setting a new trend!
    It makes you wonder what's next? Something tells me we're far from hitting the bottom! Just keep on living!
    We'll be longing for the return of the pajama look! LOL!

1. profile image59
      retief2000posted 3 years agoin reply to this

It is symptomatic of a plunge toward the bottom. We no longer seek our highest, best selves.We make excuses for every shortfall. We reward things that are unremarkable.Star Trek used to be our imagined future, now it is an impossible fantasy

3. Tusitala Tom profile image68
    Tusitala Tomposted 3 years ago

Seems you're drawing a very long bow when you talk of falling civilizations and then compare that with the way we've become slack dressers.  But I do get your drift.   The big dreams of a more exciting, adventurous world which we felt when, say, a major war finished, or we landed men on the Moon, seems to have melted away.   People seem more concerned about their next model i-pad or electrical gadget than the 'world at large.'

I expect it's a passing phase.   Maybe quite a long one, but it will pass.  What we need now is some huge project to get the people of the world enthused; maybe a plan to move millions of people to Mars or the Moon, for example.   But in order to get it moving we need charismatic leaders who can think beyond their next few 'personal leadership' years and really embrace the idea that the world is now made up of One people and that Nations are 'on the way out.'

1. profile image59

It isn't so much the slack dressing but our perception of civilization and our selves within that context. We no longer value our highest selves.

4. feenix profile image60
    feenixposted 3 years ago

All I know is the downfall of America began with the "hippie movement" that started back in the mid-'60s.

1. profile image59

Ironically, I think it is the peak of American civilization at the same time the "Me Generation" was born, spelling the end of that civilization.We were beating communism,walking on the moon and building the greatest economy in world history.

2. feenix profile image60
      feenixposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Very good points, retief. I guess it could be said that, in many ways, the '60s were "the best of times and the worst of times."  :-)

5. chuckandus6 profile image78
    chuckandus6posted 3 years ago

Yes, this is why Pajama Jeans company make so much money,I personally have not.worn pajama pants or sweatpants out since I was like 12.I will wear leggings with a long shirt that covers them
    I was 80''S child, but I have always like the.wholesome 50/60s better and I love dresses,but it is hard to find one now that is.not.prom night glitzy and is everyday type.

6. M. T. Dremer profile image93
    M. T. Dremerposted 3 years ago

No. Eventually this modern civilization will end, as all have before it. But I don't see it happening any time soon. We've come a long way since the 1940s in terms of medical and scientific advancement, not to mention in ethical thinking. Dressing in pajamas might raise a few eyebrows, but it's not an indicator of the fall of civilization.

7. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 3 years ago

Only in the places where ISIS is taking over.

1. profile image59

The idea that ISIS now holds the ancient treasure city of Palmyra is disturbing. The heritage of Western Civilization is under assault and governments are passive in the face of these crimes.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)