Whom do you think the best speaker or orator or politician in your country?

1. supremeupbeat k profile image69
    supremeupbeat kposted 2 years ago

Whom do you think the best speaker or orator or politician in your country?

2. Tusitala Tom profile image63
    Tusitala Tomposted 2 years ago

I have no specific person in mind because I've heard so many great public speakers.   But I will say this: none of them have been the politicians I've heard speaking on talk-back shows or in televised broadcasts from parliament.   When in these situations politicians 'hum and hah,' repeatedly repeat themselves, are defensive in the extreme - in case they are quoted - and generally have no message other than the current 'party line diatribe.'   They become masters of circumlocution.

On the other hand, I did see the now long deceased leader of the Labour Party, Arthur Calwell, give a rousing speech against the Vietnam War in the Sydney Town Hall way back in 1969 or 1970.  He had the audience spellbound.  He was outstanding.  And his successor, Gaugh Whitlam, was instrumental in bringing our Australian Soldiers back from Vietnam.   

Around the same era I heard Clyde Cameron, former labour union leader and at that time opposition party (shadow) cabinet minister, give a rousing 'platform speech' in a public park in downtown Sydney.  He, too, was brilliant.   

But when these people get into power their rhetoric changes to piffle, twaddle and waffle, as they protect themselves.   It seems to be the case with all political speakers everywhere.

working