jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Your politics are different then that of a close family member. How do you get t

1. Readmikenow profile image96
    Readmikenowposted 2 years ago

Your politics are different then that of a close family member. How do you get them to drop it?

2. Rodric29 profile image78
    Rodric29posted 2 years ago

You must take the high road if you want your relative to stop badgering you about your differing political stances. Refused to speak about it. You may not be able to reconcile differences, but you can agree to disagree.

Also, you love this person I am assuming. Let that be the focus of your relationship and not the political differences. Focus on those things that you do share in common and it will all be well.

3. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 2 years ago

You do your best to never talk about it! Myself and my husband are complete opposites both religiously and politically from my in laws. Out of respect for them I never discuss it. When they bring politics up I remind them that there is no chance we will ever agree so the polite thing to do is drop it! If that didn't work then I would assume they lacked respect and likely distance myself. If someone can't respect my views enough to let it go when asked then I have no reason to continue contact.
    It might seem like an over reaction, but family should have a sense of respect for each other. When that respect isn't there, why waste time trying?

4. xInspiredx profile image60
    xInspiredxposted 2 years ago

The answer is simple, let them know they have their opinion and you have yours it's ok to disagree I respect you and you need to respect me. I'm sorry but there should never be an argument because one opinion is different than the other it's just learning to respect.

5. hglick profile image86
    hglickposted 2 years ago

It depends on the family member. You should always take the high road and  refuse to discuss subjects where, for the most part people will never agree. However, If your friend or relative persists, you can always chose to see them less or "unfriend them" (as in Facebook) in life.

6. Evane profile image53
    Evaneposted 2 years ago

It takes never-ending education and awareness.