jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

To conservatives out there, do you contend that there is TOO MUCH government int

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

To conservatives out there, do you contend that there is TOO MUCH government interference

in American life and affairs?  Do you further believe that government should be streamlined?

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image29
    bradmasterOCcalposted 2 years ago

I am not a conservative, or any other label, but yes the federal government is obese.

We can streamline by passing a National Sales Tax like those at the state level. Pair down the IRS back to reflect the loss of having to track personal income tax.

3. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 2 years ago

Why are you only asking the conservatives. I am an independent or no-party person. I vote for Democrats, Republicans and independents. I am not sure what people mean by too much government interference.

Yes, the government keeps records on births, deaths and missing.

The government collect taxes to fund the space program, to have money to aid in the aftermath of a natual disater.

The government funds the military, pays air traffic controllers, regulate the use of airwaves so no channel frequency is hijacked.

The government regulates the quality of food, safety in the workplace and public safety.

There are wasteful programs. Of course what is wasteful to some people is important to others. Levee construction in Louisiana by the federal government is expensive and necessary to keep the Mississippi RIver within it banks. Most people probably do not care. We saw in Katrina what happens when two governing bodies are responsible for one levee. One side held up and the other collapsed. What things should the government not be doing, and which level is responsible for these alleged misdeeds.

4. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

Perception is reality.
    In my day to day living activities I personally do not feel like the government is interfering with my life. I don't worry about the NSA.
    A lot of the discourse comes from how one feels about various social issues or they heard about a particular news story.
    However in most people's day to day lives I would imagine there is very little intrusion. Like most people I'm conservative on some things and liberal on others.  By and large many people hate paying taxes.
    Everyone also has an opinion over how tax money is being spent.

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image29
      bradmasterOCcalposted 2 years agoin reply to this

That is great for you, but what are you actually talking about in specifies?
      Being unaware is not the same thing as not having the government intrude in personal lives.