jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

What is the ego rush about swearing? Is it for a "hard" or "tough" image? ...

1. days leaper profile image78
    days leaperposted 2 years ago

What is the ego rush about swearing?  Is it for a "hard" or "tough" image?  ...

If so, is it about number?  If You swear 100 times a day, does it make you "harder"/"better" than the person who only swears 50 times a day?  Is it like "Hale Mary's" where you have to say a certain number and supposedly the bigger boss grants you your peace or whatever?  Are people prudish or proper for not wanting to swear and does this properness make them soft/er?  Finally, does shit just happen or does it happen because of the shit that spawns it?

2. profile image0
    Kevin Goodwinposted 2 years ago

I try not to swear but I do every once and  a while but it certainly does not make me a better person or any different than everyone else. It just means you have a foul mouth.

1. days leaper profile image78
      days leaperposted 2 years agoin reply to this

..or are angry...

3. ronbergeron profile image86
    ronbergeronposted 2 years ago

I don't find any "ego rush" from swearing.

I think the language you use should match your audience and the message you're trying to get across. The words I use when talking with the forklift drivers out in the warehouse are different than the ones I use when presenting a project report during an IT staff meeting.

I have no problem adjusting my language as needed, although it took more conscious effort when I first left the Marine Corps. Today, the only time coarse language slips out is when I'm alone in my car and have comments about the driving habits of the people around me.