jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Does it seem like people these days just protest JUST to protest?

1. amazmerizing profile image61
    amazmerizingposted 2 years ago

Does it seem like people these days just protest JUST to protest?

Not like with any real goals or solutions specifically in mind?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12607867_f260.jpg

2. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 2 years ago

yeah,  i don't understand, everyone has food to eat, jobs, home, places to visit and yet they are not satisfied with the government. Try living in Ethopia!

amazmerizingposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yes I suppose it is just too convenient for them... so they get feeling all self-entitled about everything. Yes if they had to scratch in the dirt 4 water and corn would 25 cents more an hour matter?

3. Jonas Rodrigo profile image80
    Jonas Rodrigoposted 2 years ago

There are people like that. But there are also those who genuinely advocate for their causes.

4. Ericdierker profile image53
    Ericdierkerposted 2 years ago

I do not know how to get a hold of them but:professional protesters have been around since at least the 1960's. For sure in the 70's it was just as cool to go protest something than it was to go to a disco. Late 80's I know folks got paid to "bring down that wall" protest against the Berlin wall. In the 90's I know there were paid groups to protest the beginning of building the wall along our Mexican border. I understand that many in "occupy" movements were paid. And I also understand that the Ferguson riot organizers shipped folks in and somebody paid for that.
    When I was in college we could get project credits for protesting. Heck we have movie stars, lawyers and morticians why not protesters?

Wow that is so interesting. I wasnt aware of any of this! It would Make a great hub! wink

2. Ericdierker profile image53
      Ericdierkerposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I just remembered that as a foreign student in Paris we were actually paid to protest against Franco of Spain - mid 70's. And that was more like rioting, we were arrested. I think US State Dept sanctioned it. Carter.

5. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 2 years ago

No it doesn't. Most of the protests these days have real marit, but like any other protest there will be many who don't see the value because they don't agree with the movement. Equality for the LGBT community, stopping police brutality against unarmed citizens, treating all races equally, ending a few corporations having almost total power over a country all sound like amazing things to protest for.
    Do I think there will be one bad apple in each bunch? Of Course. I just hope people are rational enough to see that in reality a few bad apples do NOT spoil the bunch. Just because some idiots want to turn protesting into rioting, does not mean the majority of the people behind the cause support the idiots.
    In the USA we live in a country where a large percentage of people are hungry or homeless. 10 corporations control almost everything we buy. The richest 1% of the USA population will own more than half of the world’s wealth by next year. We still judge people based on their skin color or sexuality. Our government is taking over ever aspect of our lives. I really don't understand why more people aren't protesting.

Yes I see your points. My query tho was more geared toward protests over so-called injustices which to me seem more like slights. When major things you have mentioned get all the attention and publicity where  are advocates 4 vets, handicap ramps etc

2. peeples profile image94
      peeplesposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Vets have more of a following than anything I listed, but for the other issues, people need to make it more known so the uninformed can join in. If you can't find a protest, you make one, if the large amount agree it will take off. That is good to me

working