Christians: Should US laws be Bible-based? Why or why not?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (36 posts)
  1. Levi Legion profile image60
    Levi Legionposted 8 years ago

Christians: Should US laws be Bible-based? Why or why not?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12610896_f260.jpg

2. Faceless39 profile image92
    Faceless39posted 8 years ago

No: separation of church and state. The end.

Levi Legionposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for answering.

3. Niecey Doc profile image60
    Niecey Docposted 8 years ago

I would love to see all countries create bible based laws, because I long for, as Jesus said in his model prayer, "your kingdom come and will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven". I would love to see every part of the world begin to reflect God's kingdom and principals. I don't believe we'll ever see it manifested until Messiah returns, but we can still pray for it and do our part to bring it about.

Thanks. Given your answer, are you aware that the Constitution of the US prohibits the establishment of religion?

2. fpherj48 profile image62
      fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Levi..Now THIS is the way to ask ur question!...Bible based? ABSOLUTELY NOT. But 4 those who disagree, they're free to move to where there is Sharia Law. They should have FUN with that!

3. cam8510 profile image91
      cam8510posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Denise, where did Jesus say His Kingdom was?  "Within You"  Why do Christians constantly get that confused with Washington DC and every state capital in the country?

4. MikeCM profile image60
      MikeCMposted 8 years agoin reply to this

While not allowing Congress to establish a religion (i.e. Church of England with say the President at its head), it does not permit the prevention of practicing it or mentioning things pertaining to a religion.  Private people can and do.

5. Levi Legion profile image60

No arguments there, Mike. People can practice their religions. The question deals with whether the Bible's teachings can become law in this country...and the Constitution says "No."

6. MikeCM profile image60

Exodus 20:13  “You shall not murder."  We need to get this expunged from every state and federal government to avoid establishing a religion?  May I suggest Levi, you do not understand the establishment clause.

7. Levi Legion profile image60

May I suggest, Mike, that both you and I know that's not what I meant. Refraining from murder is NOT a Christian concept. It transcends religion. Compulsory church attendance would be a better ex. of something that should not be made law.

8. MikeCM profile image60

Thanks for the clarification.  Due to history, most our laws hail back to the founders's Biblical faith - if their source is of inter
      est.  The manner they incorporated it is as you say... not establishment of a church.

4. IslandBites profile image89
    IslandBitesposted 8 years ago

"No: separation of church and state. The end."

100% agree

Thanks.

5. cam8510 profile image91
    cam8510posted 8 years ago

Your question uses the term Bible-based.  This implies purposefulness, so I will confine my comments to the purposeful crafting of laws for the United States from the pages of the Bible.  I'm not certain what side of this issue you are on as the crafter of this question, so don't take these comments personally if they don't apply.  On the other hand, if they do apply, feel free to take them personally. 

What would be the motivating force behind this?  I know the Bible and there is no command, teaching or parable that would lead a person to believe that the laws of any country should purposely be drawn from the pages of the Bible.

Some laws have a moral underpinning.  Others are merely practical.  All laws are for the purpose of providing an organized social and business atmosphere for citizens to conduct their lives. 

Some would agree with the purposeful crafting of laws from the Bible, and they would end up cherry picking among the teachings of the Bible for whatever they wanted to turn into a law.  But we have to ask this:  If you are going to begin this practice, for what reason would you stop? 

If you craft a biblical law against murder, why not a biblical law for Saturday being the Sabbath?  And on that Sabbath we would not be allowed to work or do much of anything else.  Why not?  It's in the Bible.  How about a law for tithing?  Every American citizen would be required to give ten percent of their income to the Christian Church of their choice.  Why not?  It's in the Bible.

But that's not how it works is it?  It is much more sinister than that because it is also so much more random, left up to somebody, I don't know who, to decide which biblical principles will be turned into law and which will be ignored.

In my opinion, if you go down this path, then be consistent.  Don't try to make us a lukewarm, Christian nation.  Go all the way.  Forced conversions, baptisms, communion.  Where and Why do you stop?

Great insight. Some Christians seem to think our laws should be drawn from the Bible. I disagree for many reasons. The main reason is that the Constitution forbids it. Sounds like you've got a good grasp of the issue.

2. cam8510 profile image91

Thanks, Good laws can come from anywhere, i.e. nature, philosophy, science and religious books. But adherents to those religions believe laws should come from their books regardless of the will of the people. Their god trumps democracy.

3. Levi Legion profile image60

Exactly, Chris. I have a Christian friend who insists the Constitution was designed to protect the Christian religion. Wow! They don't seem to understand that our laws were based on liberty and the ability to change them---not to create a theocracy.

4. MikeCM profile image60

The two great laws according to Jesus is "Love the LORD" above all and "Love your neighbor as yourself."  The whole Christian era is a time of learning what Grace is - the Reformation, etc.  Western civilization's law is the fruit of that.

5. Levi Legion profile image60

Not entirely, Mike. The US Constitution, for example, was more a product of the Enlightenment Period and a resurgence of the importance of individual liberty...something that is NOT a Christian concept.

6. Levi Legion profile image60
    Levi Legionposted 8 years ago

Mike Mitchell,

Sorry but I had to delete your answer. Though you had some good points, I dislike having my questions hijacked and turned into a gospel message when that's clearly not the subject. Thanks for understanding.

1. MikeCM profile image60

I do understand.  You don't see the relationship.  That's ok.  There actually is a direct correlation.

2. Levi Legion profile image60

Ah, condescension isn't very helpful here. I understood everything that you wrote, Mike. What you may not understand is that the Constitution was designed to accommodate the changes in society's beliefs (i.e. becoming less religious). Thankfully.

3. MikeCM profile image60

Condescension often is in the eye of the beholder.  Sometimes arguments are uncomfortable.  Better to delete them than deal with them.  You misunderstand the establishment clause, and I think purposely.

4. Levi Legion profile image60

As I said above, thankfully the founders crafted the Constitution to reflect the ever-changing beliefs of society, including becoming non-religious. Is this a concept you understand, Mike?

5. MikeCM profile image60

I understand that a society can become less religious.  That is quite undeniable.  The problem is often one generation is ignorant of the last's understanding of simple words - like "establish".  Historical context is lost and dropped from a debate.

7. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12612374_f260.jpg

Exodus 31:15
    "Anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death."
    Exodus 21:17
    "Whoever curses his father or his mother must be put to death."
    Leviticus 19:19
    "....thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: (neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee).
    You can't wear clothing made of two different fabrics? Really?
    These and many other "laws" listed in the bible are excellent reasons why the U.S. should never allow any religious doctrine to dictate it's laws. Most countries who are "religious states" are extremist, sexist, and practice discrimination in numerous ways.

1. cam8510 profile image91

Excellent examples for a very relevant point.

2. Levi Legion profile image60

Good answer. Thanks.

Gal 2:14:  Paul "...I said to Cephas in front of them all, "You are a Jew, yet you live like a Gentile and not like a Jew. How is it, then, that you force Gentiles to follow Jewish customs?"  Christians do not live under the Law, but under grace.

4. cam8510 profile image91

Mike, your kidding right?  That is talking about the Old Covenant. We are talking about modern day laws of the United States.

8. bradmasterOCcal profile image49
    bradmasterOCcalposted 8 years ago

No, because it cannot comply with the 1st amendment.

1. MikeCM profile image60

Paula, Sharia is a Koranic based - not Bible.  Apostle Paul said this:  "...I said to Cephas in front of them all, "You are a Jew, yet you live like a Gentile and not like a Jew. How is it, then, that you force Gentiles to follow Jewish customs?"

2. fpherj48 profile image62
      fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

MIke, Am well aware Sharia=Koran ="religion/faith-based example of Law." Both books contain violence, honor-killing, beheading, pedophilia, INSANITY. Jew, Muslim, Christian.(all guilty at some point of SAVAGERY. thanks to their barbaric beliefs).

News shows show that  too.  It's part of human society and not  Biblical teaching.  To the degree the savage beast has been tamed, you can thank Christian and indeed other religion's positive  influence.

4. Levi Legion profile image60

If the genocidal maniac Jehovah of the Old Testament is the SAME God of the New, then you have a serious problem, Mike.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)