jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How do you get people understand you don't want to talk politics. You just want

1. Readmikenow profile image95
    Readmikenowposted 2 years ago

How do you get people understand you don't want to talk politics. You just want to have a good time.

There always comes a time when I've had enough of political debate.  I tell friends and family unless we're able to donate millions to a campaign, what we think doesn't really matter a lot.  I think there is a time to forget it and just enjoy being with one another. Is this the wrong attitude?

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image28
    bradmasterOCcalposted 2 years ago

You have one vote, and so do all those American citizens that are old enough to vote.

But, if they want to put more energy into partying than picking the next president, and congress that may be why we get such bad politicians representing us.

We have over a year to go before the election, and we really haven't seen the real issues in the campaigns. We have seen a few, but then more time is spent on personalities, and media opinions on the candidates.

I wrote a hub where I suggested that we change the election process to have all of congress and the president run for a one time, no reelection 6 year term.

That would increase your party time. lol

3. lions44 profile image99
    lions44posted 2 years ago

Although I agree with you regarding the discussion of politics at family events or with friends, I must disagree on one thing: your vote counts. We've seen how close elections are. Regardless of your party/viewpoint, you must vote.  It matters.

4. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 2 years ago

How 'bout just saying you don't want to talk politics? I've said this: "It's clear we're never going to agree, so let's change the subject. How 'bout them Cowboys?"

5. SgtCecil profile image92
    SgtCecilposted 2 years ago

Quick answer: say that you don't want to talk about politics. That's what I do. I even get up and leave if they don't listen to me. After a while they know me as the guy who doesn't want to talk about politics. That's it. Too easy.

Want more? OK...

Someone will probably ask, "Why?" because they respect you and want your insight on an issue. They don't know it but this is a trap. By answering why is actually talking about politics! Don't fall for it. You don't owe anyone a reason.

Repeat after me, "Sorry, I don't want to talk about politics." Keep it simple and short. Don't say why or don't get angry, just say you don't then stand your ground.