Does physical appearance play a role in who you would vote for?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (37 posts)
  1. pagesvoice profile image72
    pagesvoiceposted 8 years ago

Does physical appearance play a role in who you would vote for?

Naturally, there are several factors in our decision making process when we go to vote. We look at a candidate's voting record, their philosophy on a host of topics and sometimes even who is financially backing them. However, what about a candidate's looks or habits? Many people complain about Hilary Clinton's hair and pant suits. People were bothered by Mitt Romney's stiff body posture. Others make comments about Chris Christie's weight. For me,(yes, I'm being superficial) Marco Rubio constantly licking his lips reminds me of a lizard or serpent. Am I being shallow in my thinking?

2. lovemychris profile image75
    lovemychrisposted 8 years ago

No--some people just give you the heebee jeebee's. For me, it is Ted Cruz. I would put a dress and make-up on him, and call him Teresa!
    Such an every man?? He went to Hahvahd and his wife is at Goldman Sachs.Pullease. Pass the arrugula! Oh wait: it's only elitist when Obama eats it, right? LOL

pagesvoiceposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Cruz reminds me of the old salesman, hawking elixirs of snake oil from his horse drawn wagon. Then we had Sarah Palin who has a voice like the sound of nails down a chalkboard.

3. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 8 years ago

I don't know if they'll let me keep the link here but the show "brain games" did a great segment on picking winners and losers in political races based on appearance. There are scientific reasons, beyond vanity, why we tend to do this - a person's facial structure tends to send subconscious cues that we pick up on as being trustworthy or not.  I can tell you right now - not a single choice of those running appears trustworthy at all so far.  Here's the link if it gets snipped look up "brain games + politics" on Youtube smile it's a fun segment.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsXcFvGiCs8

Thank you for the video link. I picked 100% of those elected. First impressions really do make a difference.

2. dashingscorpio profile image81
      dashingscorpioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Very interesting video clip! I guess politics is not for the "butt ugly" types! LOL! I also noticed those who were comfortable smiling seemed to win more often than those who appeared to "force" their smiles.

4. chuckandus6 profile image78
    chuckandus6posted 8 years ago

As a non voter (gasp) I know it is unheard of not to vote,but I have seen many people I know voting upon looks in the past,also age.I personally would vote more on the basis of Their campaign.

I did gasp regarding you not voting. A complacent society is one destined for doom. I hope you reconsider your position and go to the polls.

2. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree Dennis, while I grow weary of voting for the "lesser of evils" not voting is not an option. We have a duty to participate in society and apathetic people are how crooked govts. take hold as we have witnessed in the past few decades.

3. dashingscorpio profile image81
      dashingscorpioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Although I vote I understand those who have voter apathy. Some are frustrated because "their person" never wins. However if the loser garners enough votes regarding a particular issue it can lead the winner to address it.
      A landslide doesn't.

4. chuckandus6 profile image78
      chuckandus6posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I understand what you mean on the importance but to me it seems like even the president in running with the best of intentions do not have the final say,so I don't see a lot of difference between candidates.

5. pagesvoice profile image72

I understand what you are saying, I still believe voting is the most important right we have and  exercise in this country. I vote for school board members, town, county, state and federal elections. I feel I am honoring a veteran in doing so.

5. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

In all honesty I do believe people vote for a "whole package".
    Back when JFK defeated Nixon who at the time was considered more qualified to be president after serving as VP to Eisenhower.
    Many folks attributed Kennedy's win to his youthful appearance, beautiful wife, oratory skills, and the fact that Nixon sweat like pig during a nationally televised debate. I believe it was the first televised presidential debate.
    When people were asked who'd they'd rather have a beer with; Al Gore or George W. Bush? Most people polled chose Bush.
    Bill Clinton and Ronald Reagan had a folksy charisma that connected with people. It came through that they (enjoyed) pressing the flesh.
    Some politicians come off as arrogant mean spirited elitist. Generally speaking people want to "like" the candidate they vote for.
    The same holds true for buying products from a salesperson. If people don't "like you" it's nearly impossible to win them over.
    People also for the most part want their president to be married, have a family, and state they believe in God.
    It's unlikely we'll see a serious contender for president who is an eligible bachelor and openly atheist or a 5'4" bald fat man get elected regardless of their stance on issues or their proposed solutions.

Your points are all valid and I remember "Tricky Dickie" sweating like a prisoner being interrogated. Personally, I know within a matter of minutes, sometimes seconds, if I like someone or not. My gut usually doesn't let me down.

6. Bassman54 profile image64
    Bassman54posted 8 years ago

Unfortunately, it plays more of a role than it should. People are easily distracted by a "pretty face" than by a candidate's stance on major issues. People don't want to do the homework to see if a candidate is truly who they want representing them. They'll swallow whatever the corporate controlled media feeds them. We, as a country, have been lulled into a false sense of security about politicians, mainly because of laws like Citizens United. As long as there's money in politics, it doesn't matter who is of substance; the media will tell the lazy majority who they should be voting for, and those media are controlled by big money.

You're right about the money in politics and it is obscene. I usually know in a matter of seconds or minutes whether I have a good feeling or not when first meeting someone. That applies to candidates, as well.

7. Lady Guinevere profile image67
    Lady Guinevereposted 8 years ago

It does not for me.  One of the reasons that I love the internet is that you cannot judge others by their looks or voices or economic status, UNLESS they want it known.  Then agains, as you state in your question, there is Body Langage and that also tells lots about a person.  There was a hub on here that talksed about certain body language people use and don't know it.  I don't know if it is still up or not.

Sorry I missed the Hub you are referring to. Subconsciously we may be making judgments about others without even realizing it.

8. feenix profile image57
    feenixposted 8 years ago

For me, Hillary Clinton's appearance matters, and that is because I really do wonder why so many of her pants suits resemble the outfits worn by Mao Zedong, Ho Chi Minh, Kim Il-sung and Kim Jong-un?

Is it just Hilary's pantsuits that make you think of communist and dictatorship leaders or does that apply to all women in pantsuits? So, I guess a dress would make everything better.

2. feenix profile image57
      feenixposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Dennis Page, you're trying to run the old liberal trick of playing the "sexist card" on me. But anyway, H. C. is a communist, regardless of what she wears. And you know as well as I do the reason why she always wears pants suits; her elephant legs

3. pagesvoice profile image72

Your response is repulsive and sexist.

4. ChristinS profile image39

Dennis, those are the typical kinds of responses you get from those who parrot right wing talking points without any actual knowledge. Are you surprised really? I wasn't smile I think this kind of ignorance is just getting started sadly.

5. pagesvoice profile image72

Unfortunately, I'm not surprised. People of his ilk bring down the entire nation on the world stage. Others look at the blind hatred and disrespect here and shake their heads in bewilderment.

6. feenix profile image57

Sander, Page, it is because of liberals like the two of you, and liberalism in general, that "my people" (blacks) are suffering so many disproportionate social and economic problems. Ever since the 1950s, liberalism has been destroying black society.

7. ChristinS profile image39

Love the "victim mentality" blaming liberals.  I see more liberals pushing back against police brutality and obvious racism in current society, but ok, it's our fault. whatever.

8. feenix profile image57

Sander, it is because of you liberals that much of America, especially blacks, has a "victim mentality." Also, I and other "thinking blacks" could not care less about liberals' current straw men, police brutality of blacks and "unchecked racism."

9. ChristinS profile image39

Wow! just - wow.... nothing else to say to that lack of logic, but wow...

10. feenix profile image57

Yeah, Sander, you will NEVER understand, 'cause it's a black thang.

11. pagesvoice profile image72

I neither have the time nor the inclination to go through semantics of views with you. I'm just as entrenched in my thinking as you. Of course, you probably want to argue about that too. You must have loved Bush drawing a line in the sand. -ugh-

12. feenix profile image57

And you must love the fact that Democratic president, Harry Truman, gave the order for two powerful nuclear bombs to be dropped on thousands of innocent "people of color."

13. pagesvoice profile image72

Bullying those with dissenting views is typical behavior with members of the Greed Over People Party (GOP). You feel a need to have the last word so go ahead and leave your boorish response because I'm done with you.

14. Lady Guinevere profile image67
      Lady Guinevereposted 8 years agoin reply to this

feenix, some of us wish that UR kind would leave the past in the past, where it belongs.  Today is a different world and IMHO I don't cae if you are purple with pink polka dots.  Ur ignorance shows in UR words, not ur color of skin.

15. feenix profile image57

Debra Allen, when it comes to cruel and inhumane treatment of vast numbers of people -- such as the mass enslavement of blacks, the nuclear attacks against Japanese civilians and the Holocaust -- there are no statutes of limitation. "NEVER FORGET."

16. Lady Guinevere profile image67

NEVER let others grow up?  hmmm how's that working for ya?

17. feenix profile image57

Debra Allen, based on your logic G.W. Bush haters should stop talking about all of the "waterboarding" that took place during his watch. But no, that is not going to happen because liberals play the game based on selective and self-serving rules.

18. Lady Guinevere profile image67

Ok, I am also done with your prejudice of peoples you have no die what the hel* you are talking about.  I am ME, nothing else What you call me is what you see in teh mirror.  Nig04 is not a color, it is an attitude.  Have a nice Day!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)