jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

What makes Bernie Sanders so appealing to the millennial generation?

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

What makes Bernie Sanders so appealing to the millennial generation?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12864277_f260.jpg

2. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 2 years ago

Because he's pointing to problems in the system that Millennials are all too aware of. For the last 8 years we've seen congress in a deadlock, just to spite Barack Obama. And yet, Bernie is the only candidate pointing out the corrupting influence of money in politics. An entire generation is struggling to pay off student debt, despite working full time jobs, and yet he's the only candidate talking about wage inequality and tuition. He acknowledges the deep racial divide that young people of color still feel every day. And he admits that Climate Change is the single greatest threat to our world. It's not just that he is appealing to millennial's. In our eyes, he is the only honest candidate in the bunch.

1. Levi Legion profile image61
      Levi Legionposted 2 years agoin reply to this

If Sanders becomes President, I think we'll see deadlock in Congress like never before. Might not be all bad...

2. nicomp profile image66
      nicompposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I love liberal hypocrisy. "Deadlock' is a bad thing when their party can't get their way.

3. Levi Legion profile image61
    Levi Legionposted 2 years ago

I'm a millennial, but I don't find Sanders appealing. The reason? I'm acquainted with the Constitution and have a good grasp of history.

4. nicomp profile image66
    nicompposted 2 years ago

Because millennials get their news from The Daily Show? Because they are selfish uninformed veal who think the government owes them a living? Because they have no concept of the US Constitution?

Thankfully, many millennials think for themselves. They attend CPAC, they march at Right To Life events, they study the Constitution, they have a clue about the relationship between rights and responsibilities. None of them see any appeal in a 75 year-old career politician promising to legislate happiness.

5. pagesvoice profile image84
    pagesvoiceposted 2 years ago

I believe there are many factors of Bernie Sanders that appeal to the Millennials. Keep in mind, that Millennials were born between 1980 and the mid-2000s and they now represent over one-third of the population in this country. This group is a powerful voting bloc, especially when considering they are more diverse and educated than any other generation.

Additionally, 15% more Millennials have gone to college than Baby Boomers and they are incurring insurmountable college debt. What is most likely troubling to Trump supporters is the fact that 42% of Millennials identify with a race or ethnicity other than non-Hispanic white which is double over the Baby Boomers.

An educated and diverse voting society is very disturbing to many in the old guard.

1. nicomp profile image66
      nicompposted 2 years agoin reply to this

"... likely troubling to Trump supporters is the fact that 42% of Millennials identify with a race or ethnicity other than non-Hispanic"
      I assert that Hillary supporters are disturbed by the number of women voters since she savaged Kathleen Willey.

2. pagesvoice profile image84
      pagesvoiceposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Your assertion has absolutely nothing to do with the question that was asked. Hillary wasn't even part of the question.

6. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 20 months ago

Student loan forgiveness to a generation with an average college debt of 20-30K, promises of lots of other free stuff to people who think they are entitled now to what their parents worked ten to twenty years to achieve

working