Are veterans over glorified in the USA?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (35 posts)
  1. Annsalo profile image84
    Annsaloposted 8 years ago

Are veterans over glorified in the USA?

Considering a large amount of veterans are also criminals, is the generalized glorification of veterans a bit much? Should we start looking at them as individuals rather than as a group? Or do we give the bad ones a free pass because they fought in war? If we do give them a free pass because war is rough on them, should we also give free passes to everyone else who has had a hard life?
    Reason for questions- Known many veterans, a few are great, most that I have known are not good people though. But we seem to generalize all veterans as amazing people who we should glorify. NOT SAYING ALL BAD!

2. RJ Schwartz profile image87
    RJ Schwartzposted 8 years ago

Interesting topic - I'd like to add that you consider the poor care Veterans have received under the current administration as a contributing factor - PTSD and poor job opportunities after military service can be strong contributors to Vets turning to suicide, crime, or to simply live suffering in silence.

Annsaloposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes I agree with you. However does that give them a free pass in your opinion? Consider there are many people not veterans with PTSD who go through similar. If those people commit crimes, they are looked at poorly. Veteran does same people feel sorry

2. RJ Schwartz profile image87
      RJ Schwartzposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Nothing gives anyone a free pass in my opinion, but some folks might think otherwise.

3. Link10103 profile image61
    Link10103posted 8 years ago

There was a veteran here on HP that thought he deserved respect simply because he was older than me and because he fought in Vietnam. He had a tendency to demonize liberals/Democrats, gay people, and atheists.

Even going strictly by his online behavior, he was far from an amazing person.

I look at individuals in just about all cases, you don't ever deserve a free pass just by belonging to a certain group.

"you don't ever deserve a free pass just by belonging to a certain group." Perfect, I totally agree!

4. MonetteforJack profile image71
    MonetteforJackposted 8 years ago

I think the word suited is "commend" than glorify. We should commend Veterans because they went to war to establish peace, freedom and liberty. With everything going on in the VA, the Vets aren't being treated fairly. During and right after the Vietnam war, the vets who came home became social outcasts.  The Vets are individuals and I think everyone knows that. And in America, no matter who you are, whether you're the State Secretary or the President, a Vet or a policeman, nobody is given a free pass in breaking the laws.

Vets are never treated good enough by the government, however by the masses we have holidays, parades, and constant news coverage implying they are ALL amazing ppl. Sadly many use their PTSD as excuses to hurt others.

2. MonetteforJack profile image71
      MonetteforJackposted 8 years agoin reply to this

PTSD is very real. I think it isn't an excuse but it is an underlying cause for people whether a veteran or not behave badly. Unless treated, those with PTSD cannot control their bad behaviors and thoughts.

5. Old-Empresario profile image72
    Old-Empresarioposted 8 years ago

Well, I certainly think there is a lot of hero inflation directed at US veterans as if all are equal. Most veterans are not actually the folks doing the fighting. Most are communications people, mechanics, logistics folks, medical personnel, etc. It's rare to find one who is an honest-to-goodness warrior. There is a higher percentage among Marines. But chances are when someone talks about themselves in a combat role at nauseam, they're probably lying.

Very valid point. Large amounts never even see combat, so I have to wonder what excuse it is that ppl have to treat them as if it's ok if they break laws and think we should still look at all vets like they are heroes!

6. profile image0
    LoliHeyposted 8 years ago

Yeah, I think that anyone who went left the comfort of home here in the US to fight a war for OUR freedom should get recognition.  I think that the amount of veterans who cannot get jobs or are homeless is a travesty.  They should be given something along instead of illegal immigrants.  Fighting in war in combat is NOT the same as living a rough life at home.  Can you provide a link with the statistics that say that most veterans are criminals?

1. Link10103 profile image61
      Link10103posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Veterans are given illegal immigrants?

What left field did that come from...

2. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Our veterans don't receive the respect they deserve.  In fact, they are treated as personae non gratae. It is a shame indeed.

3. Annsalo profile image84

Didn't say MOST, said a large amount. Google can help you learn instead of me providing you just 1 link. And I agree they should be better cared for, but not if  they choose to become criminals beating their wives, raping, or killing people.

4. profile image0
      LoliHeyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Link:  Illegal immigrants are given free stuff and veterans are not.  Illegals shouldn't even be here!  Unless they come the right way and follow the rules.

5. Link10103 profile image61

And what free stuff are illegal immigrants given exactly...?

6. profile image0

Places to live, education, etc.

7. Link10103 profile image61

Oh yes, those dastardly illegals that get free homes and education...

So is there some underlying, not completely obvious reason that every time you are asked for specifics you rarely have any Loli?

7. tamarawilhite profile image87
    tamarawilhiteposted 8 years ago

Most military veterans are law abiding, decent guys - on average, MORE law abiding.
    They are some of the last people our society is allowed to consider heroes, because they risk their lives to face the dangers of the world so it doesn't come here.
    I don't see veterans getting a free pass because of their status. I do see that for Black Lives Matter protesters, Black Brunch and other race-baiters allowed to trespass, damage property and threaten people, claiming racism when anyone flees their threats of violence or doesn't want to pay the monies they demand.

1. Link10103 profile image61

...um, wouldn't you be considered a race baiter then...

Like what the hell does black lives matter have to do with a question about veterans?

2. Annsalo profile image84

For the record I agree somewhat with last paragraph, but it's off topic. Look up the statistics on veterans in prison, veterans and Criminal domestic violence, veterans and sex crimes. It's awful that we are taught to treat all of them like heroes!

3. tamarawilhite profile image87
      tamarawilhiteposted 8 years agoin reply to this

BLM is glorified while attacking whites physically for not agreeing with them.
      Veterans don't kill people except on command, and they are demonized for it.

4. Link10103 profile image61

The people veterans are commanded to kill aren't exactly guaranteed to be of any threat, rather than collateral damage...

5. Annsalo profile image84

Veterans are home, not in combat, and yes some kill, rape, beat, and steal! And I for sure am not demonizing all veterans, just the concept of treating them like they are ALL great.

6. profile image0

But you are demonizing them, because you're claiming that "most" are bad, when in fact, you couldn't possibly speak for the millions who are!

7. Annsalo profile image84

AGAIN WHERE DID I SAY MOST AS A GENERALIZATION??? I didn't. I said a large amount, not all and not most. I only said "most" when speaking of the one I PERSONALLY know! If you'd actually read that sentence you'd see I was taking about ones I know.

8. profile image0

So I take it you know many, many veterans who are criminals.  You must know a lot of people. Otherwise, why ask the question in the first place--based on just the few people you know?  A large amount can imply most.

9. Annsalo profile image84

I know 15 or so, and have in business dealt with a handful more. I was asking out of curiosity, the reason most questions are asked and I wondered if I'm expected to place these crappy ones I have met in the same hero column even though they aren't.

10. profile image0

I wouldn't call 15 and a handful more a large amount at all, not even remotely.

11. Annsalo profile image84

The rest of large amount was based on a vast amount of research. Use google, look at prison veterans stats, sex offender vet stats, CDV vet stats. If you have nothing else relevant to add please just quit commenting.

8. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8764325_f260.jpg

Never, in fact, quite the opposite occurs.  Veterans are no longer respected in the United States.  They are cast aside, even denigrated for doing their duty & fighting for this country.  Veterans should receive more benefits & preferential treatment, considering that they have put their lives on the line for this country.

Many veterans are suffering from PTSD as a result of their combat services.  They should be receiving help in hospitals & other care centers.  To reiterate, this country is treating veterans like stepchildren.   They should receive more respect & receive better health treatment.   Services should be stepped up to assist & aid veterans.   No, one should get a free pass regarding illegal activities regardless of status.  However, that is not necessarily the case now.  There are some who get away w/murder because of connections & preferred status while others who commit the same acts are castigated or worse.

So we have holidays, parades, and that isn't glorying. I understand it's only the talk and they don't help them otherwise, but in words they are all saints. The government helps no one except other government (themselves).

9. Sparrowlet profile image95
    Sparrowletposted 8 years ago

You're meeting the wrong vets! In my experience, MOST veterans are commendable people. I find it impossible to over-appreciate someone who is willing to give their life for the safety and freedom of people they have never met.

That's very well possible. Most of the ones I have known are related, past coworkers, or neighbors. The ones that continue to do good when home are worthy of appreciation.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)