jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

When does a Protester become a Disrupt-er, and how should they be treated?

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image29
    bradmasterOCcalposted 2 years ago

When does a Protester become a Disrupt-er, and how should they be treated?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12721314_f260.jpg

2. ElvisaM profile image80
    ElvisaMposted 2 years ago

I suppose yelling racial slurs, inciting violence, trying to deliberately anger the person next to you, insulting someone... That would be when you should be kicked out. However, that does not mean that you get to be assaulted. But so many peaceful ones, simply standing there being black or simply standing there wearing a hijab, have been kicked out insulted and assaulted. Let the speaker speak and protest silently. That is almost impossible at a Trump rally because even standing there and being a SUPPORTER of Trump gets you kicked out and slapped because you are a black man.

1. ElvisaM profile image80
      ElvisaMposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Once fists start flying and insults are strewn around, you should be fined and even arrested.

2. profile image0
      LoliHeyposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Infighting violence, trying to deliberately anger people, insults...you've accurately summed up the Black Lives Matter activists.

3. ElvisaM profile image80
      ElvisaMposted 2 years agoin reply to this

haha. Yeah, You read one sentence of my answer.

3. lisavollrath profile image95
    lisavollrathposted 2 years ago

That's a pretty broad question, so I'm going to narrow in on what happened over the weekend, and use that as an example.

If you have a political rally, where a candidate is either invited by an institution to speak, or is paying to use a venue to speak, I think protesters are outside the building, and disrupters are inside the building.

Protesting against speakers or events outside has been going on since before this country broke from England, and I think it always has to be OK to do that. That's part of the whole free-speech thing. The guy who is speaking has a right to hold a rally, and the people who are against him, or what he's speaking about, have a right to state their opposing views outside, without preventing him from speaking, or preventing the people who agree with him from hearing him.

Disrupters are people who seek to completely prevent someone from speaking. Shutting down the venue, blocking people from entering, or attending the event with the express purpose of preventing those with an opposing view from having a voice is a disruption. It's not some sort of victory of one side over the other.

Having said all that, you sort of reap what you sow. If a speaker uses rhetoric that promotes violent behavior or hatred, eventually, that's going to come back and bite him in the butt.

1. tamarawilhite profile image91
      tamarawilhiteposted 2 years agoin reply to this

You're blaming the victim, as well as excusing the violent protesters at Trump's events. You're acting as if conservative speech is hate speech / fighting words, so threats to harm conservatives and Trump himself are warranted.

2. lisavollrath profile image95
      lisavollrathposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Frankly, what comes out of Trump's mouth is hate speech, and I'm appalled that you're calling him a victim. He didn't get a scratch. However, his followers are  punching people in the head, while Donald offers to pay their legal bills. He's to blame.

3. bradmasterOCcal profile image29
      bradmasterOCcalposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Lisa you had me till your last sentence then the thread broke.
      Hate is subjective, and it has no objective meaning to other people. Details, and application of the scenario are needed to understand it. Rhetoric has no meaning here because it is vague

4. lisavollrath profile image95
      lisavollrathposted 2 years agoin reply to this

If a candidate spews hate and violence, he's going to incite hatred and violence in his followers. He's going to elicit an equally strong reaction from those who don't agree with him. Hate begets hate. He did this to himself.

4. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 2 years ago

Someone becomes a disruptor when they interrupt the speaker, physically interfere with attendees or try to disrupt the event in any way from throwing the fire alarm to blowing air horns to threatening violence to try to prevent the event from happening or going forward.

You have the right to protest holding up signs or shouting outside.
    Your right to protest does not include interfering with the right to speak for the speakers OR right of association and speech of those who want to listen to the speaker.

5. Old-Empresario profile image81
    Old-Empresarioposted 2 years ago

Organized protests of large groups are usually OK by establishment's standards. They simply won't be given any TV time and won't be reported on by the press and so no one in America will know they exist.

Small protests by one or two agitators are frightening to politicians, secret service, police or anyone basically because assassinations or even mass shootings happen this way.

working