jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Another fake Hate Crime exposed - What kind of punishment should be handed out ?

1. RJ Schwartz profile image93
    RJ Schwartzposted 23 months ago

Another fake Hate Crime exposed - What kind of punishment should be handed out ?

The Texas Pastor who tried to use Whole Foods as a platform, claiming a homophobic slur was written on the cake has admitted it was a hoax.  He's apologized, but should that be enough?  He intentionally and with malice attempted to slander Whole Foods and paint them as a homophobic business - how hard should they prosecute this man for these actions?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13020479_f260.jpg

2. Link10103 profile image76
    Link10103posted 23 months ago

If that's the case, I think the business can sue him for libel.

That's probably the most they can do, legal wise.

1. jlpark profile image86
      jlparkposted 23 months agoin reply to this

I agree. It annoys me when people do this - it takes away from those who actually experience hate crimes because of their sexual orientation, race etc.

2. RJ Schwartz profile image93
      RJ Schwartzposted 23 months agoin reply to this

I think they should get extra punishment - it's willful intent to damage someone

3. Link10103 profile image76
      Link10103posted 23 months agoin reply to this

I believe that's what libel is.

Now if they had willful intent to physically damage the business or harm someone working there, that might be a different story.

4. RJ Schwartz profile image93
      RJ Schwartzposted 23 months agoin reply to this

Thanks for straightening me out....

3. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 23 months ago

The same punishment that the baker would have faced if he/she had not been homosexual and thus clearly not guilty.

Closed to reply

working