jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)

Do you think the family of a murder victim should have a say in what punishment

1. CWanamaker profile image99
    CWanamakerposted 6 years ago

Do you think the family of a murder victim should have a say in what punishment is given to him?

Do you think any victims of a crime should have a say in the punishment?

2. tony0724 profile image59
    tony0724posted 6 years ago

That is a legitimate question , but the family could never be objective. I believe that we do not use the death penalty enough and that we have to quit this 25 years of appeals charade. A bullet to the head of a criminal piece of s**t is alot cheaper then tying up the courts.

3. moonfairy profile image80
    moonfairyposted 6 years ago

wouldn't that be refreshing?! I actually believe in an eye for an eye...that whatever harm someone willfully causes another person should be inflicted on the doer. this way they get to live the crime they've committed and feel its impact, both physically and emotionally. And I agree with what tony0724 says as well.

4. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

they should have some say but not the final say. if a person is killed and the family is really religious they will want to forgive the murder and that's just wrong. there has to be a line drawn for things like this.

5. agunter profile image60
    agunterposted 6 years ago

I do believe the families should have a say. The only problem you will run into with a victims opinion is a constant plea for the death penalty. While I do not condone the death penalty, I do believe it has to be used in moderation and on a case by case situation

6. jtyler profile image58
    jtylerposted 6 years ago

I don't think so.  The families would be too close to the victim to make a good punishment.  Also, some would suggest the death penalty, and that is morally wrong.

7. Ben Graves profile image80
    Ben Gravesposted 6 years ago

No, I don't think they should. Whoever the murder happened to, the same legal system and punishment should apply to everyone who's committed the same crime. And I also don't like the death penalty.

8. wilcox_raina profile image58
    wilcox_rainaposted 6 years ago

Absolutely not. They are not part of the executive branch, and therefore cannot be entrusted with this life changing decision without the correct knowledge say a judge would have. Plus, they are completely biased. I would want the worst for the murderer if I were the victim's family.

9. tlynn6420 profile image58
    tlynn6420posted 6 years ago

Absolutely not, there would be too many emotions involved for them to make reasonable decisions.  We have a judicial system for a reason.

10. Kamalesh050 profile image81
    Kamalesh050posted 6 years ago

No, the murderer must be punished  as per law and in my opinion the punishment should be as severe as possible.

11. Felixedet2000 profile image55
    Felixedet2000posted 6 years ago

I don't think so, the law is there to take care of the punishment.

12. Wayne Brown profile image84
    Wayne Brownposted 6 years ago

When an individual is found guilty of a given crime, I think it is in the family of the victim's best interest to be heard as to their feelings toward the punishment of the perpetrator. At the same, we cannot tailor our laws to fit each individual situation as that would eventually lead to chaos and provide no basis for precedence which is a big factor in the application of law. Judges are given limits and guidelines for imposing sentences based on the severity of the crime. The judge can elect to do the most or the least depending on the circumstances but he can ignore the guilt nor can impose a punishment which exceeds the limits of the law. We have to respect that process, the Rule of Law is at the center of our republic. WB

13. onegoodwoman profile image76
    onegoodwomanposted 6 years ago

Yes, I certainly do.................

Who else is the "justice" for, if not the victim?

Have you ever noticed, that it is called a 'COURT OF LAW', not a "  COURT OF JUSTICE'..........ever make that connection?

It would a most natural and effective deterent to crime to allow the victim or their family to dole out the punishment.

Rape a child, let the parent dole the punishement.  Yes, this BS would soon stop.  I can not even describe to you, the horrors that I would inflict on someone who harmed my child or grandmother.

working