What is your opinion on the double standard around criticizing judges in America

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (26 posts)
  1. RJ Schwartz profile image87
    RJ Schwartzposted 7 years ago

What is your opinion on the double standard around criticizing judges in America?

Donald Trump says a judge in the TrumpU case would be biased and the media flips out, says Trump has no right to question the judges capabilities.
    Yet another judge who just sentenced a Stanford golden boy to only 6 months for rape charges is being petitioned to be removed from the bench - many people questioning his capabilities and feel justified in doing so.

So which is correct?  Are we allowed to criticize judges and their rulings or not?  It cannot go both ways.  It cannot be case by case.

Judges are an extension of political ideology today, whether people like it or not.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13053263_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Old Poolmanposted 7 years ago

When I see the rulings issued by Judges in some cases, I am convinced we should be able to question their rulings.  Of course only an appeals court can change their rulings in most cases.

I am also convinced Judges who make some of these insane rulings should be required to undergo sanity hearings.  Only insane people could think the way some Judges think.

3. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image60
    Dont Taze Me Broposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13053383_f260.jpg

To start with from what I've heard and seen of the media, radio, TV, and newspapers no one is flipping out over Trump accusing a judge of bias but they are flipping out over the (racist according to them) way he did it, calling an American judge (of Mexican decent) a Mexican which is all the lame stream, drive by, liberal media needs to twist what he said from an accusation of a judge being biased (actually based on his decisions on Trump's case and his associations with activist pro amnesty immigration organizations, not his race) to Trump being the racist they all have been dying to paint him as ever since he brought up the topic of illegal immigration.

It is sad that Trump is so mealy mouthed that he can't resist throwing red meat to the media because, although he has to now, he won't get away with doing that forever. Eventually. there will be "the straw that breaks the camel's back" and the media knows it and if it takes them raising straw man after straw man in covering him to find the straw that breaks the camel's back they will do it, you can count on that.

So even if you disagree with what I just said, you shouldn't be surprised that there is a double standard when it comes to anyone who is a threat to the establishment politicians, be they Republican or Democrat, and of course the media, the author of double standards, journalism in America is DEAD.

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image51
      bradmasterOCcalposted 7 years agoin reply to this

DTMBro
      There is no intelligence in following either the political parties, or the media.
      It is the gov that insists on pigeon holing people based on their gender, color, race, ethnicity and other attributes. this is fodder for the social engineers

2. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image60
      Dont Taze Me Broposted 7 years agoin reply to this

No intelligence? So what are you saying, anyone who just "follows" politics or the media, to analyze and learn is stupid? Seems to me there is no intelligence in not following them to know what is going on, why and how not to be deceived.

4. Matthew Woolsey profile image62
    Matthew Woolseyposted 7 years ago

When your talking about first time offenders prison my not be the best for them. Prison turns harmless people into hardened criminals. They say if you don't go in as a criminal, you'll come out a criminal.

1. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image60

What makes you think first time offenders got caught the first or only time they committed a crime? If u are sent to prison for a crime u have already been living a life of crime and are probably teaching as much as learning from prisoners.

2. Matthew Woolsey profile image62
      Matthew Woolseyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

not necessarily true sometimes good people make a bad decision. That doesn't mean they just haven't been caught yet. It would also depend on the crime. like did you assault someone or murder them.

3. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image60

But you said "Prison turns harmless people into hardened criminals" Harmless? You have to be pretty naive to believe someone caught in a crime worthy of prison is harmless. "They say..." ? Most ALL go in as criminals, u r fooling yourself.

4. Matthew Woolsey profile image62
      Matthew Woolseyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Please forgive me. I have just read what he is accused of and that is not in my tolerance. I have a girl and if that happen to her I would kill him. He wont last long in prison anyway. Inmates don't like that kind of stuff.

5. profile image0
      Old Poolmanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

And there lies the real issue.  In 6 months or less he will be released from jail but he will still be a sexual predator and will most likely do something like this again.  Why release him back into the public where he will just harm someone else?

6. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image60

Many think Prison makes"harmless people"into criminals but if they don't want to choose a life of crime prison can help them go straight as many xcons can attest prison was a turning point for them leaving a life of crime. We all know some.

7. bradmasterOCcal profile image51

DTMBro

That doesn't account for the number of repeat offenders.
      Also, there appears to be more crime happening in prison, a place where crime is to be atoned???

8. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image60

Nothing I said is suppose to account for or have anything to do with repeat offenders, but the fact there are repeat offenders demonstrates that there really are no first time offenders, just people who get caught for the first time.

9. bradmasterOCcal profile image51

DTMBro
      Actually, it did when you said that prison makes offenders go straight. My point is opposite.
      The real issue should be the lack of Justice in the Criminal Justice System.

10. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image60

I never said "prison makes prisoners go straight", You seem to have a problem with processing information. I said "if they don't want to choose a life of crimeitCANhelp them go straight", not meaning anything you characterize it as meaning.

11. bradmasterOCcal profile image51

dtmb
      Don't make it personal, attacking me doesn't make your point!
      Why isn't my comment a valid inference to your statement? What other value does that statement have?

12. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image60

Personal?Just stating the obvious.If u can't see u totally mis stated & misconstrued what I said that further demonstrates you have a cognitive problem.Hiding behind accusation that pointing that out to you is is"personal"doesn't help ur case.

13. bradmasterOCcal profile image51

dtmb
      "You seem to have a problem with processing information." This an your next attack on me, is personal. Yes, I have a problem trying to get any valid argument from your comments, THEY are emotional and child like school yard rants.

14. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image60

Really lame brain? Then I suppose your comment to my answer and I quote "There is no intelligence in following either the political parties, or the media" wasn't personal? calling me stupid? Seems you can dish it out but can't take it

15. Old-Empresario profile image71
      Old-Empresarioposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It's you're, not "your" you fucking idiot

16. Old-Empresario profile image71
      Old-Empresarioposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It's you're, not "your". He's already a criminal. Prison is the place for him. Idiot.

5. bradmasterOCcal profile image51
    bradmasterOCcalposted 7 years ago

Ralph
    This is another example of how the liberals have made what they want as unilateral. It can't be applied to them.

When president Clinton was found to have had sex with Monica in the WH. He attacked the basic idea of sex, and defiantly said, He Did Not Have Sex.

Might have been a true statement if the woman was Hillary and not Monica. But, there was no denial that if wasn't Monica.

My point is that liberals control the freedom of speech today.

1. RJ Schwartz profile image87
      RJ Schwartzposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It's just one example of the millions of situations where hypocrisy rules and consistency is thrown out the window.

6. Johnny James A profile image57
    Johnny James Aposted 7 years ago

This issue is not really a double standard.  No one is stating that a person does not have a right to criticize someone. The two very different arguments stem from whether (1) a judge is competent or not to issue appropriate sentencing after a conviction for sexual assault versus (2) wanting a judge removed from a case merely because of his/her ethnicity based on the fact that one of the parties said they wanted to build a wall between America and Mexico. Reviewing the competency of a judge based on his/her decisions on court cases as well as their sentencing has always been good practice but only relatively recently followed (past 20-30 years) when they found out that depending on your gender, race, age your sentencing for the exact same crime was widely different. Trump was not questioning the capabilities of the judge, but making a statement to have the judge recuse himself solely based on ethnicity without any factual evidence to show this judge had a bias against him. So these two issues are not really comparable.

Additionally, while the judge does have discretion in sentencing, the questioning is now whether it was the appropriate sentencing.

7. Old-Empresario profile image71
    Old-Empresarioposted 7 years ago

Yes, it's always been this way. The good news is the rapist's life is ruined either way. He'll never lead a normal life now. And that's what we really want. And the judge is probably having a hard time too. Activism is a bitch.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)