What are the 6 ways that the typical/average American has become LESS INTELLIGENT
& more like SHEEPLE w/n the past 30 years? How does this factor influences the typical/average American to obsess/worship celebrities, not using deductive/inductive discernment when electing political officials, falling for trends which aren't beneficial to say the least, & following people based upon likeability instead of qualifications/knowledge regarding a subject matter &/or being able to do the job at hand?
1. Distractions decrease your ability to think, and the always on media and constant disruptions via texting and pop ups mean that we're constantly distracted. Quality of thought declines, even if intelligence doesn't.
2. Lack of sleep is as bad or worse for judgement as drunkenness. And between late night TV shows and constant media interruptions via texting to assumptions caffeine cures all, active intelligence declines due to lack of sleep.
3. Immigrants who don't have to assimilate bring in a language barrier that makes it hard to work collectively. Collective intelligence and problem solving (per Wisdom of the Crowds) falls because you can't get ideas spread or vetted by debate.
4. By valuing novelty for entertainment and then streaming it, the constant stream of flipping every few seconds between speakers and jokes means you don't spend time thinking about the jokes or plot. It also trains us to get bored if we don't get it fast and tune out, instead of thinking it through.
5. We see problems due to feelings being seen as the arbiter of morality. When we allow the social justice warriors to say "I don't like it, it is hate speech, shut up hater, you're hurting me, say it again and I'll hit you", you destroy dialogue as well as education other than "don't say what offends someone". Ideas are proven when challenged and defended, improved by further testing and validation. When people can live in a thought bubble defended by cry-bullying and violence, you end up with people living with irrational ideas. I've even been told that facts are "hate facts", because the truth is evil because it doesn't fit their narrative, and what they feel to be true trumps what IS true. No one learns or improves that way.
6. To make it worse is their demand to enter conservative groups with a conservative speaker and shout people down if not assault someone altogether (has happened to Ben Shapiro, Milo Yianapolis). When someone's idea of freedom of speech is the demand that you can't speak your ideas even in a room of like minded people, collective intelligence drops because feelings of the most extreme, irrational or insane take precedence.
I believe social Media has alot of people thinking they are super stars or if not wanting to be.because it is an unreal place where you do not have to be talented or intellegent to have fans and be followed.Sad truth is Social Media has brought our level of human_being_ness down alot.
I don't believe Americans are getting less intelligent. If anything, they're becoming more enlightened. Our biggest problem is complacency, without regard to people who lack the basics we have like regular access to food, clean water, and education. In that regard, they may appear less intelligent, but a healthy dose of reality should set them straight.
by Grace Marguerite Williams 4 years ago
What are the main indicators that the average American is somewhat uninformed and gulliblein regards to electing political candidates to their respective offices whether local, state, and/or national?
by Grace Marguerite Williams 2 years ago
According to American psychological assessments, the average IQ in the United States is the abysmalrange from 90-100, with an average IQ of 98 while superior intelligence is 110-125, gifted is 130-139 and genius or near genius is 140 and above. What does this IQ assessment say about the...
by IDONO 5 years ago
Did Romney confirm, again, how out of touch he is with the average American?Romney spoke of the importance of education and should be funded because our future depends on it. Then he stated that he would discontinue all funding for public television. Does he realize that the 47% he spoke of...
by bonnebartron 6 years ago
I am extremely curious. I hear all the time that "Americans are Dumb" but I hear this from fellow Americans. If we all think the population is dumb, what does that make us? Everyone tells me "you are one of the less than 2% of thinking Americans" I don't think so. If I am, then...
by Alex J. Reissig 5 years ago
QE3 was just announced. Do you think it will hurt the average American in the long run?
by kdawson 20 months ago
Do smart people scare you?Do you think "average" people are frightened by "intelligent" people. I don't consider myself that intelligent, but apparently come across that way and it seems to put some people off.
Copyright © 2018 HubPages Inc. and respective owners. Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners. HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc. HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.
|HubPages Device ID||This is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.|
|Login||This is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.|
|HubPages Traffic Pixel||This is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.|
|Remarketing Pixels||We may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.|
|Conversion Tracking Pixels||We may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.|