jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Do You Think Brexit (Britain Leaving the European Union) Is a Big Deal?

1. Rock_nj profile image93
    Rock_njposted 20 months ago

Do You Think Brexit (Britain Leaving the European Union) Is a Big Deal?

Is Brexit a big deal or much ado about nothing?  If you live in Britain, which way are you planning on voting and why?

2. lions44 profile image100
    lions44posted 20 months ago

I'm more than shocked that the Brexit debate caused a murder.  That is ridiculous.  To kill over a policy debate is something not always seen in a Western country.  We seem to be returning to a more uncertain era.

So it is a big deal, especially in light of the violence.  I did not even see violent protests over the issue.  There has to be more to the story than just Britain leaving the EU.

1. Rock_nj profile image93
      Rock_njposted 20 months agoin reply to this

I think that person who killed the MP was a lunatic.  Very tragic, but not a reflection on the true nature of the Brexit debate.

3. Tusitala Tom profile image61
    Tusitala Tomposted 20 months ago

Being an Australia who was born in the UK, I'd say that England would be better off to remain in the European Union.   When I was young Great Britain was a real power in the world; up there with the top three or four.  Now it's a second-rate nation with ever diminishing power.   If it leaves the EU it will go down even further.

What kept it great in the old days was it's huge empire.  That has all gone now.  It has cut most of its favoured trade ties with places such as Australia and New Zealand and has been reliant on the EU for decades.  If it leaves them I doubt it will be able to maintain its present standard of living.    And once living standards drop there will be an awful lot of bitter people wishing they'd stayed in.

4. tamarawilhite profile image94
    tamarawilhiteposted 20 months ago

The UK provides a disproportionate share of the EU budget. It is akin to the US's 25% of the UN budget.
    For the UK, it is a chance to break free of crushing regulations and the danger of uncontrolled Muslim immigration because Merkel felt guilty for WW2.
    For the EU, it risks losing one of the biggest sources of revenue, hence the hysteria from the remain camp to prevent that. As well as the politicizing of the death of a "remain" camp MP murdered recently; she wasn't killed for her politics but was killed after intervening in a madman's fight with another. But he was conservative, she's an attractive mother and remain party, so she's already been made a martyr for the "remain" campaign to try to guilt trip people into staying, though the same media covered up the Rotherham rape scandal and other crimes by Muslim migrants because THAT is against their political agenda.

5. bradmasterOCcal profile image32
    bradmasterOCcalposted 20 months ago

I like the TV show, the original, "Yes Prime Minister" answer to the question of why GB went into the EU.

working