jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

Is Truth perceived as a Lock on Freedom or perceived as a Key to it?

1. MarieLB profile image83
    MarieLBposted 20 months ago

Is Truth perceived as a Lock on Freedom or perceived as a Key to it?

Not much to add to the above really.

2. Venkatachari M profile image55
    Venkatachari Mposted 20 months ago

I don't get to your point. What has truth to do with freedom?
    Do you mean reality restricts or aids freedom?
    Reality is reality and you can't deny it. But, true or false can depend upon circumstances often. What is true to you may not be true for somebody else who is living under different circumstances.

1. MarieLB profile image83
      MarieLBposted 19 months agoin reply to this

I have truly savoured each and every response. I think I enjoy this even more than the writings now.As to your question V M; when I read the statement I think of the spirit becoming lighter and freer from the weight of lies & deception.

2. Venkatachari M profile image55
      Venkatachari Mposted 19 months agoin reply to this

I understand the problem now. Tim Mitchel has a done a great job in dissecting your question and analysing it thoroughly, though in a roundabout manner. I admire his insight and you have rightly selected it as the best answer.

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 20 months ago

Freedom is about self-empowerment, equality, and having options/choices to live your life on your own terms.
    They say: "The truth shall set you free."
    Knowing the truth about something but not being able to do anything is a painful existence.  Without power "the truth" is just a footnote.

4. alancaster149 profile image84
    alancaster149posted 20 months ago

Is this a religious question or a legal one?
    On the religious side, as dashingscorpio hints, the truth can free you (I suppose it means the soul or any ethnic variation of it). On the other hand, if you've misbehaved and lied the truth can equally tie you up in knots. The bigger your shovel, the deeper you dig yourself into trouble.
    On the legal side perjury carries its own penalties. Speaking the truth after you've lied can take a lot of convincing. However, if you've committed an offence and you're open with it, i.e., don't fib about what brought you to that offence then even if you're locked up your sentence might be lighter,
    "Right guv'nor, it's a fair cop" might get you a suspended sentence or light (shorter) custodial, whereas, "I was going to give it back" might earn a few guffaws from the visitors' gallery, a smirk from the prosecution and a couple of years dished out by a humourless 'beak' (judge) at Her Majesty's Pleasure as a non-paying guest.
    M'lady, have I answered your question?

5. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 20 months ago

I played with this question for hours yesterday having fun and discoveries. It was what I call playtime. Thank you! As seen with other answers there are variables to meanings for words specifically truth and freedom.

Okay probably TMI. As seen to answer is firstly a matter of interpretation. A consequence is there are two abstract nouns – truth and freedom. An abstract noun “refers to something with which a person cannot physically interact” or is intangible. In this case of four categories it falls into ideas / concepts / ideals.

First is to change the question into a statement, which usually aims at becoming a thesis statement. The question above is two questions where one is true and one false. Thus we have as I interpret it:

Truth is a lock on freedom and needing a key. So, what is the key?

Truth is a key to freedom and not its lock. So, what is the lock?

I did decide the abstract freedom is like a door. It is a barrier that protects, can capture, and open inward and/or outward allowing access inside and/or outside. At this point it is a tangible and functional object only requiring a purpose for an action – opened, closed, and locked too.

Now we can explore ‘Truth’. If a tangible lock it operates the door. If a tangible key it operates the lock, which operates the door. In both cases it is functional while the former are paired and functional together. Occams razor (the Law of Parsimony) says “Entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily." Or, “when you have two competing theories that make exactly the same predictions (Freedom to become functional), the simpler one is the better."

Perhaps I am wrong, but it appears ‘Truth is a lock’ while the key remains an unknown. In this case the key is only necessary if the lock is locked, but the lock and door together are functional. Perhaps the key is free will, faith, or some such? Another perhaps is the door lock remains opened as long as there is liberty - to pass freely (Through the door) between inside and outside. They remain functional together. I dun'no . . . but, was fun :-)

1. Venkatachari M profile image55
      Venkatachari Mposted 19 months agoin reply to this

Wow! This is an excellent answer to the above puzzle (question?). It is dealt with in a funny but insightful way. Thanks for the illumination.

6. MarieLB profile image83
    MarieLBposted 19 months ago

I just cannot tell you all how much I have enjoyed poring over your responses. Such interesting dissertation, that I felt I was in a class listening to a panel of masters unpacking an eternal truth.  You have taught me much.  Thank you so much for taking the time.  I shall now read them all again. They are all worth my time. but I only have one "Best Answer" button.

Closed to reply

working