jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Do you think anything humans do politically or socially will matter at all in 10

1. billdales profile image79
    billdalesposted 20 months ago

Do you think anything humans do politically or socially will matter at all in 10000 years?

If humans are still alive in 10000 years I suppose they will benefit from the scientific advances we have now.  Because they will keep evolving. But will sociology and political events of our era matter? Does it matter in our society that in 2000 BC Pharaoh Amenemhat I started his rule? Does anyone even care? So will anyone in 10000 years give a **** if Clinton or Trump becomes president? Will we even care?

2. FatFreddysCat profile image97
    FatFreddysCatposted 20 months ago

None of it will matter to me, anyway. I'll be dead by then.

billdalesposted 20 months agoin reply to this

Indeed. So if you follow through with that reasoning. Nothing matters at all does it? Whatever you do in your live, won't matter anymore once you're dead.. Except for people who believe in deities and life after death of course.

3. profile image83
    Hxprofposted 20 months ago

Interesting question, because you're asking if human history matters.  I could go on for a while about history, but I'll stick to the short of it.  Human history tells us where we've been, and how we've reached the place that we are currently.  Does it matter now that Pharaoh Amenemhat I began his rule?  Not necessarily.  If I were curious to look though, I might be interested in knowing what happened during his time - did he move Egypt in a new direction or did he stay the current course?  How did this impact Egypt immediately and in the longer run?  And how did it impact Egypt's long term future - if it did. I view history as binding people from centuries past with people alive right now, an inescapable cause and effect scenario.  Regards Clinton and Trump, it may not matter to people 10,000 years from now who became president of the US in 2016, but upon closer examination, they may find that the US president elected in 2016 either ushered in a new era or contributed to a cataclysmic series of events, the ripple effects still being felt. 

While there's nothing we can do to alter the past, history does help us understand ourselves - who we really are and why our world looks the way it does.

4. RTalloni profile image88
    RTalloniposted 20 months ago

Good stuff from Hxprof. Without an understanding of why history does matter we are far too prone to self-concern about the immediate.  We easily come to the place of despair when we have no sweeping view of history, much less a detailed picture of it. 

History also aids our understanding that we need the help our Creator God offers us. When I see these types of questions I am reminded of the theme of the book of Ephesians. Grasping what God is doing in the world through His Son Jesus the Christ is the beginning of searching out the rich, glorious fruit of this life and eternity.

billdalesposted 20 months agoin reply to this

I think history teaches us to steer away from things like religion and deities. Looking at history you'll quickly learn that religion has always obstructed and refrained advancement in science and physics, and with it, the evolution of mankind.

2. profile image83
      Hxprofposted 20 months agoin reply to this

You're right on R.  History also reveals mankind for what we are, and what God has done about what we are.  God's love for us contrasts with our nature, but still, "While we were still enemies of God, Christ died for us".

5. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 20 months ago

For the first time in human history, we are giving people the ability to control the number of children they have and allowing people to enjoy marriage and sex without having children if they don't want to.
    The end result is mass selection of those who don't want to have children out of the population. It is significant when traditionally 10% of women didn't have children due to infertility and now in the West, 20% don't have children, so 10% of the female population has self-selected out of the gene pool. Factor in those who don't want many children, another 10%, and in another two or three generations, the human race will have nearly bred out those who don't want/like kids.

The permission to have exclusively homosexual relations, too, is driving one or two percent of men out of the breeding population. Yes, a few homosexual men have children via surrogates or with lesbians, but that is a far smaller percentage than the men who would have otherwise married and had children but kept their sexual proclivities secret. The end result is that any genes or social conditions tied to homosexuality will be dramatically reduced over the next few generations, assuming another disease like AIDS coupled with the still significant homosexual promiscuity doesn't reduce their overall numbers again.