jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

If a President owes millions to a foreign bank, does that create a conflict of i

1. ptosis profile image74
    ptosisposted 20 months ago

If a President owes millions to a foreign bank, does that create a conflict of interest?

Trump is heavily leveraged that includs 5 loans each of over $50 million each. 16 loans from 11 different lenders  Richard Painter said,  "Whereas having a president who owes a lot of money to banks, particularly when it's on negotiable terms—it puts them at the mercy of the banks." Although the President is exempt, for all others, you can lose that security clearance if you have credit or debt because can be more easily bribed to give out secrets.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13130257_f260.jpg

2. profile image58
    Setank Setunkposted 20 months ago

I would rather have a President who owes money than a President who owes political favors for money received.

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image30
      bradmasterOCcalposted 20 months agoin reply to this

I agree with you.
      The president has his private finances in a blind trust, so there is no conflict.

2. ptosis profile image74
      ptosisposted 20 months agoin reply to this

@ Brad Trump says his blind trust will be run by his grown children - not exactly blind

3. Ericdierker profile image53
      Ericdierkerposted 20 months agoin reply to this

Wouldn't it be better to have someone who owes large amounts of money than one who has already received large amounts of money?

3. Johnny James A profile image73
    Johnny James Aposted 20 months ago

Debt is not a problem in of itself.  There is a difference between current debt and long term debt. Current debt means the debt amount which is due now, which long term is the overall debt due eventually.  For example, if I have a $200,000 home mortgage but only make $60,000 a year this would not be a problem since I do not owe all $200,000 at once or in one year. So long as I can make the monthly payments, then I am ok.  Not sure how much debt Trump has, but as long as he can make his monthly payments he is not really in danger of being beholden to someone.  Additionally, if your credit rating is very good and you have a low interest rate on loans you would rather use other people's money to make money rather than your own.  This allows you to use leverage and make more money.

4. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 20 months ago

Not as much as Hillary Clinton taking millions in bribes from foreign governments and foreign owned corporations to give State Department approvals. The below is only one example:

Cash Flowed to Clinton Foundation Amid Russian Uranium Deal
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/24/us/ca … mpany.html

And that's on top of paying her husband $100,000 or more for a 15 minute speech and getting various authorizations they'd previously been denied.

working