Were The West Memphis Three Guilty Or Innocent?

1. PhoenixV profile image73
    PhoenixVposted 19 months ago

Were The West Memphis Three Guilty Or Innocent?

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image98
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 19 months ago

Probably all innocent. Almost certainly they were innocent. Gosh, you always think such a terrible thing couldn't happen to you, but when you realize what kind of persons are actually in authority in these small rural governments - you just have to shudder for all the innocent people who've surely been railroaded into prisons over the years.

Not far from where I live, in Corsicana , Texas; they used the most idiotic justifications you could ever imagine to have Cameron Todd Willingham executed. He was absolutely innocent, but he sure is dead.

3. fpherj48 profile image77
    fpherj48posted 19 months ago

Phoenix....Thank you.  You have just reminded me of meaning to research this very topic.  It was brought up in conversation among some friends & myself and although we had all remembered hearing much about it at the time it occurred, we all were having difficulty recalling vital details.
    This type of story/event is of great interest to me.  I worked alongside my late husband when he was deeply involved as District Director of "New Yorkers Against the Death Penalty."  Discovering the hard core realities of our Justice System, it's strengths, weaknesses and continual need for maintenance as well as improvements was a most fascinating education for me.
    I'll be back here after I have completed that refresher course.  Good Question.

Wesman, I believe I include Cameron Todd Willingham's miscarriage of Justice in a hub I wrote a couple years ago on Capital Punishment.  His case has gone down in History as one of the most egregiously flawed legal cases in Texas (and there are far too many from your beautiful State!)  He was one of the innocents put to death by the State of Texas.
    I'll say no more.  This topic never fails to raise my blood pressure and make me ill.   Paula