West Memphis Three freed after 18 years

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

The release of the "West Memphis Three" came after a complex and confusing plea deal, in which the men--Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin and Misskelley--pleaded guilty and were sentenced to the 18 years they've already served. They're allowed to maintain their innocence, while officially acknowledging that prosecutors have enough evidence to convict them.
    In 1993, three 8-year-old boys from West Memphis, Ark.--Christopher Byers, Steven Branch and James Michael Moore--were found naked, beaten, and hogtied in a drainage ditch. The victims had been sexually abused, and one had been partially castrated.
    Prosecutors argued the murders were part of a satanic ritual. Echols, 19 at the time, was cast as the ringleader, and given the death penalty. Baldwin and Misskelley, then 16 and 17 respectively, were given life in prison plus 40 years. A confession to police by Misskelley, who is mentally challenged, was retracted within days and not admitted at trial.
    The men had almost no money to pay for a legal defense at the time, one of their lawyers said today.
    But the men have always maintained their innocence. And a defense motion at today's hearing concerned DNA testing results that allegedly excluded all three men from the crime.http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/2oMLNOD2rju0lZw0eHtvSg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTMxMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/thelookout/West-Memphis-Three.jpg
    read the rest
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/wes … 29722.html
    basically ,they were railroaded because they were poor and had no high priced lawyer.
    if it weren't for Johnny Depp and Russell Crow and other high profile celebrities pleading for a re examination of DNA evidence they were be put to death..It's scary to think about

1. Stacie L profile image89
      Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I thought there would be some comment son this story..setting the innocent free after 18 years is amazing.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I believe someone posted last week that celebrities had no right having a voice in such things.

Here it is:
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/81197

That is a great thing. I didn't know about this case before. This is one reason I am against the death penalty.

3. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

I usually search before posting and didn't see this story
    I think celebrities can use their notoriety for good ,,as long as they are not being self promotional.
    They may very well have saved three lives..so I'm happy they intervened.

4. rachellrobinson profile image84
    rachellrobinsonposted 12 years ago

Stacie: I think it is interesting how two people can read the same news story and draw two different conclusions. I agree that these innocent men were railroaded, and it is good they are now free and that the one who was on deathrow wasn't killed. I got into a pretty heated debate with another hubber who read this same story and was angry that these men were released, her reading of the story led her to believe that three men viciously murdered those boys and were now getting away with it.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Tell Brenda she is wrong lol

1. rachellrobinson profile image84
        rachellrobinsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It wasn't Brenda whom I was referring to.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
          Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was just kidding smile

Ah okay. I don't want to stir the pot by putting down who I had the argument with. They've made up their mind, I am just relieved to read that I am not the only one who has a problem with these guys being in prison for this crime.

2. Stacie L profile image89
      Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

yes but the deal that had to make was unheard of until now; they had to plead "guilty" in order for the state to save face and release them.
      I watched the interview and couldn't believe it.
      The trial was a farce and everyone should be glad that DNA is now a standard tool.

the Alford Plea was only done like you said so that the Prosecution could save face and so that the state was sued for false imprisonment.

1. Michael Willis profile image68
          Michael Willisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The "nail -on-the-head!" I am from Arkansas and have been tired of the  news for over a decade on this story. DNA shows them not guilty.  State does not want to look stupid, so the men have to plead guilty to avoid State looking bad. No TV or Book deal (which would show State in bad light).
          The Real Killer/Killers got away with it since these young men were railroaded.

I read that the people instrumental in getting these three out are going to use the money left over to pursue whomever killed those boys. I sure hope that they do since the state won't. If I had the kind of resources necessary to fund an investigation I would be there in a heart beat. The victims deserve nothing less then that.

5. profile image48
    katherynmcmahonposted 12 years ago

A friend said she wasn't going to go see The Hobbit movie because the biggest contributor to their defense fund was Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh!
    I think they are heroes!!!!
    She said if she was not guilty she would not have signed the papers. It took 4 years to get a retrial after DNA excluded them. I would have given them anything to get out of jail, especially solitary confinement! 
    It became obvious that the police and DA were not going to admit they were wrong.
    Even the parents of the victims were angry when all the facts came out. They felt the real killer was running free. They know it is going to be next to impossible to get a conviction now that the three have pleaded guilty.

Whttp://cfmmusicscene.com/2011/08/the-hobbits-jackson-and-walsh-help-free-the-west-memphis-3/ith

6. BobbiRant profile image61
    BobbiRantposted 12 years ago

American 'justice' as we loosely call it in this country!  Let's see, oh yes, OJ comes to mind.  Now, the Real killers?  I suppose They (real killers) have been unleashed onto American society for all these years.  Police and investigators, they Always send people 'back into burning buildings' deeming those buildings as 'safe.'  Anyone understand yet that most police forces are the REAL menace to society?  Wishing to pin a conviction on Anyone for political gain mostly, they Must look like they Can solve Something, and Really wanting justice and to find the Real criminals, well, big gulf there!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)