jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

More seniors (70+) are still working. Is this empowering or sad?

1. yecall profile image68
    yecallposted 17 months ago

More seniors (70+) are still working.  Is this empowering or sad?

2. threekeys profile image80
    threekeysposted 17 months ago

Its sad. However I do know of some senoirs who  are still working in their 70's and being 80 because they love life and love  life and being busy. They are the exceptions. Senoirs need to enjoy their life and be comforted IMHO.

3. Aime F profile image84
    Aime Fposted 17 months ago

I think that depends entirely on why they're working.

If it's because they have no choice and need to work to stay alive then I would say that's very sad. 

If it's because they enjoy what they do and the idea of retirement doesn't sound fulfilling to them then I think that's empowering.

4. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 17 months ago

If they are working out of choice, like preventing boredom or saving for retirement in 70s when they expect to live to 90s, it is good.
    If they are working at 70 to support underemployed adult children and unemployed grandchildren, it is a tragedy.

5. MizBejabbers profile image90
    MizBejabbersposted 17 months ago

It depends on why they are working. I am one of those you asked about. I work because I have a very good and well-paying career as a legal editor that I love. I've been here 28 years as of next week, and I will have a good retirement when I do leave. Many of the people in this state agency work well into their 70s. One of our editors is 79 years young.
    The older workers that I find sad are the ones who are having to work to stretch their meager SS pensions, like the Walmart greeters. However, I'm not quick to judge them because some of them love their jobs, too. They find that they are too lonely and bored staying at home, and interacting with the public is stimulating to them.

There is a state organization that matches older workers with companies. Many companies prefer older workers because in addition to being skilled employees, we show up for work with little absenteeism, do our work, don't text or talk on the phone all day, and aren't frequently taking off because we are trying to raise small children.

Many people my age who don't need the money are doing volunteer work. The pitiful ones are the ones who want to stay at home and dry up. Or as Tamara says, those who have to work to support their grown children or grandchildren and would rather be elsewhere, like traveling.

Please don't sell us short, young man.

working