jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Why do candidates in the presidential/vice presidential debate constantly interr

1. veganfitspiration profile image92
    veganfitspirationposted 18 months ago

Why do candidates in the presidential/vice presidential debate constantly interrupt each other?

It seems very unprofessional on this level of debate and it makes me dislike them.

2. Aime F profile image83
    Aime Fposted 18 months ago

It's a very passionate situation so I can imagine it's hard not to jump in when someone is saying something about you/your campaign that you feel is false or taken out of context.

That said, I agree that it makes them seem less likeable.  It shows a lack of composure.  The 'rules' are pretty clear - the other person gets a set amount of time to talk and after that they'll address the other person and open up a conversation.  When someone can't let another person talk for 2 minutes without interrupting it does come across badly.

veganfitspirationposted 18 months agoin reply to this

I would want to defend myself as well if someone was attaching me in a debate, but I would really try to do it in my allotted 2 minutes.  It's unfortunate most of the conversations revolve around attacking/defense and less on policy.

3. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 18 months ago

Kaine interrupted Pence 70 times. Pence interrupted Kaine several times, several of those interrupting Kaine's interruption when it was Pence's turn to talk.
    And the moderator interrupted Pence several times while only gently interrupting Kaine once to kind of say maybe you're going over time.

The moderator was absolutely biased in favor of Kaine, and the moderator enabled the interruptions by Kaine while joining in more than once.

We'll only see less interruption when the Republicans stand up and say no to biased moderators who enable Democrats interrupting Republicans all the time and then reprimand Republicans for trying to get a world in on their turn.

1. RTalloni profile image88
      RTalloniposted 18 months agoin reply to this

A look at the details is eye-opening for any one interested in facts.

2. veganfitspiration profile image92

70 times, I didn't count but that seems about right.  I was getting a headache trying to focus.

4. bradmasterOCcal profile image28
    bradmasterOCcalposted 18 months ago

Since when are political campaigns and debates professional. Check out the election ads and their content.

Debates are a waste of time. Loyal party voters don't change candidates period.

I too am always curious, who are these "undecided" voters???

5. RTalloni profile image88
    RTalloniposted 18 months ago

Clearly, Kaine is a bully. Makes me wonder what Clinton was thinking.  She does realize not that a person like that respects no one. Rather too familiar for her to be able to see it, perhaps, but she had better watch her back if she wins. Maybe she thinks she knows his kind well enough to deal with him but, at best, the behavior reliably reflects a me-first personality.

working