Do you believe that the "divide and rule" policy applies in today's society? If

1. profile image58
    DimiKamboposted 16 months ago

Do you believe that the "divide and rule" policy applies in today's society? If yes how?

I kinda start feel nostalgic for the days of the  stability in government and society, I believe "political stable environment" is a phrase we are not going to hear often  in the future. A quick look at the countries of the western world it's enough to realize that, the far right (mostly) and the far left are rising and they will keep rising as long people are divided.

2. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 16 months ago

Yes, it has been a standard part of liberal politics for decades. Tell everyone that they are part of a tribe based on demographics (women, blacks, Hispanics, Arab, Asian) and that the rest of society is oppressing them/hates them/against them - but the liberal party will protect them so vote liberal!
    Identity politics has another advantage of merging ideology with tribe, such that women who aren't liberal are called not really women and attacked savagely, conservative blacks are alternatively called not really black or traitors to the race. Liberal identity politics means you get not just a tight tribe that lets you manage groups as if they were a monolith but get social pressure to conform to liberal ideology out of fear of exclusion.
    The danger of this approach is two fold. Balkanization is one, such that you can't govern because no group is the majority but everyone only votes based on their tribe. The other is the majority developing identity politics so tightly it costs the other groups their power.

1. profile image58
      DimiKamboposted 16 months agoin reply to this

Your perspective is very interesting! Few things,1. I see both sides exercising that policy. 2.Does any of those people you mentioned have ever been oppressed at any point, If yes by whom? 3.As far the upcoming danger I agree. Thanks for responding

working