Why do some people on HP act so condescending toward others? Especially in the q

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)
  1. JeniferRW profile image60
    JeniferRWposted 7 years ago

Why do some people on HP act so condescending toward others? Especially in the question section?

I asked a sincere question recently regarding politics and immediately wished I hadn't.  I'll be the first one to admit I don't know something.  You never know if you never ask or search for knowledge.  I was curious of opinions and facts I would find from here.  I received one great answer right away which answered my question from their opinion then it was immediately followed by a snippet from someone else basically putting me down for not being more knowledgeable on the subject.  Well, that is why I asked.  Why knock people down behind a screen for simply trying to educate themselves?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13356381_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    promisemposted 7 years ago

As a full-time online business owner, I can tell you that it's a common problem among all websites that have answers and forums.

I suspect partly it's the lack of personal contact when posting. We're talking as much to a computer as we are to a person.

Another reason is the decline of civility in this country that's largely the result of political extremism. He or she who shouts and insults the loudest gets the most attention.

JeniferRWposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your insightful answer.  I think you're exactly right on all points.

3. Diana Lee profile image76
    Diana Leeposted 7 years ago

All kinds of people cross paths here and not all of them are respectful of other people's feelings, but most are sincere and rudeness is not a common thing. I have visited forums far worse than this one. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

JeniferRWposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Diana for your response! No long term damage done of course but I would personally never want to deter someone from asking questions or trying to learn something by being rude.  Most people on here are fantastic I must say. I agree with you.

4. WordCrafter09 profile image66
    WordCrafter09posted 7 years ago

There's SO MUCH room for all kinds of misunderstanding on here.  I can't say I've run into "condescending" (or even seen it) - but then, I don't ask many questions.  I just come looking for one or two here or there if I have nothing better to do.  Maybe I haven't noticed some things because I pretty scan past anything political.

One thing is that it's always, or at least often, tricky to convey the right tone in typing; so there's always risk of someone misinterpreting a "straight, sincere" answer from one that's either a plain, old, insult or else a condescending one.  People often don't know who already knows what, so that factors into the mix too.

The other thing, though, is that someone (like me) who scans through the questions often enough can notice how many questions pretty much don't look either like they're aimed at sincere discussion or else giving someone ideas for a Hub.  They just look like someone's either whipping up all kinds of questions (for whatever reasons they are, or else they're asking questions for possibly questionable reasons.   So sometimes an innocent and sincere question may seem (to one person or another) like "yet another questionable question" - so they give a fresh answer.

Not to turn this into "blaming the victim" here, but so often, too, people take things as an insult and/or as someone being condescending when, really, it's just a matter of whether someone speaks/writes without a lot of fluff, or whether someone fluffs and "nicey-nice's" things.  Some people are OK with "non-fluffed" communication.  Some are OK with it from SOME other people or about some subjects.  Some people expect "fluffified" from everyone (or just some people about some subjects).

Some people see "non-fluffified" and seemingly more "blunt" as "rude".

On the other hand, the person who leans toward "fluffified" and "nicey-niced" in order not to seem too blunt can come across as condescending.  It doesn't help that some people "on the answering end" (whether here or offline) think if they "fluffify"/"nicey-nice" an out and out cutting remark (that's intended to be that) and get away with being demeaning and cutting by "taking the edge of it".  Then again, there are people who are just nice and don't mean anything by a remark that may be taken by the wrong person as an insult.

I think all anyone can/should do is either ignore it all, or maybe ask someone sincerely if meant to be insulting.  After that both parties can either drop it or move on.

5. JeniferRW profile image60
    JeniferRWposted 7 years ago

I agree with a lot of what you said ME for sure.  I don't mind the fluffed up and niceness, I truly don't mind the blunt answers.  To give you some background I am dense as a rock about politics.  I know it, I admit it.  I work all the time and the little bit of time I am not at work I'm playing Mom, the more important role of the two.  I don't have cable and while, yes I admit I need to personally do better research of my own, I was asking about the platform Trumps campaign was based on.  Other than a lot of BS that it felt like the media focused on I didn't know any real answers.  So I asked.  I got one good response and it honestly didn't even feel like a lot of opinion was even forced in there it was just bullet points which was fabulous.  Then I got an answer that basically said, 'you didn't care before, don't bother now.' It irritated me.  I see a lot of that and not just here on HP of course, it is everywhere as someone on here previously mentioned. It's done just to get a ruse out of people a lot of the time and I mostly as you said just choose to ignore it 99% of the time. I will never knock someone for trying to learn anything though. It seems like people get cocky, especially when politics are involved.   I just don't see why so I thought I would just get some other opinions real quick.  Which I do appreciate you guys chiming in! Hope you all have a great day and I appreciate your thoughts. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)